Andrew Lancel & Wife Louise - Celebrities arrive at The Concorde Hanger, Manchester Airport for The Gavin Blyth Macmillan Ball. - Manchester, United Kingdom - Saturday 26th October 2013
The Corrie star is acquitted, but his guilt remains in question
It’s good news for Andrew Lancel – the Coronation Street actor was cleared of any charges of midconduct. Oddly, though, the judge maintained gay sexual encounters with the actor’s accuser may still have occurred.
It seems an odd way to end a hearing, especially considering anything could have happened, and even more so considering the not guilty verdict. The Recorder of Liverpool, Judge Clement Goldstone QC, then told the court: “The defendant was acquitted on the evidence, and rightly so. But it is important the complainant, who’s clearly scarred by an experience, should understand the jury verdicts does not necessarily involve rejection of his account of a sexual encounter or encounters with the defendant.” His wife, Louise, angrily stormed out of court during the judge’s speech saying “I can’t listen to this.” She was incensed that these comments were being made after the verdict was given.
Lancel back in 2011 at the TV Choice Awards
Andrew Lancel was cleared in super quick time at Liverpool Crown Court.
Coronation Street actor Andrew Lancel - real name Andrew Watkinson - has been cleared of four counts of indecently assaulting a 15-year-old boy in the 1990s. The actor, 42, from Liverpool had been on trial at Liverpool Crown Court though a jury took just 29 minutes to make its decision and clear the star of all wrongdoing.
Lancel, who played the devious Frank Foster on Coronation Street, was charged in November with indecently assaulting a youngster in 1994 when the pair met at a theatre group. Judge Clement Goldstone QC directed the jury to find Mr Watkinson not guilty on two of six counts he originally faced because the complainant said he couldn't be sure the alleged abuse happened before he turned 15.
Lancel, who appeared in Coronation Street in January 2011 and March 2012 denied any sexual contact ever took place between himself and the boy and maintained that he was simply a "sort of mentor" to the aspiring actor. His solicitor Stuart Nolan said in a statement, "Andrew would like to thank his family and friends and all parties for their support and prayers.He just wants to spend time with his family."
Former Corrie star denies charges
Andrew Lancel, the 42 year-old former Coronation Street actor appeared in court yesterday (April 15, 2013), to deny charges of sexually assaulting a teenage boy. Lancel – real name Andrew Watkinson – was originally charged last November and pleaded not guilty yesterday to six counts of indecent assault of a child under the age of 15. According to a report from the Daily Mail, the charges all relate to one male, who alleges that the offences occurred between 1993 and 1994.
Lancel is best known for his role as Frank Foster, the factory boss in the TV soap. He featured in the programme between March 2011 and March 2012, when his character was killed off. Prior to joining the show, he had played Detective Inspector Neil Manson in The Bill. He appeared at Liverpool Crown Court dressed in a grey suit, white shirt and grey and black tie. His wife Louise accompanied him as he pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was granted bail, until his trial starts on June 3, 2013. It is expected to last five days. He was originally arrested last November and the accusations made against him forced him to withdraw from a Christmas pantomime that he was starring in.
Lancel’s lawyer, Stuart Nolan, spoke last year when they allegations were originally made, insisting that his client would walk away from the accusations with his reputation intact. He revealed that Lancel “Strenuously denies the allegations” and was “confident his innocence will be established.”
Continue reading: Ex-Corrie Actor Andrew Lancel In Court Over Sexual Assault Charges
Actor was in British soap for two years.
Andrew Lancel, a former actor in the long-running British soap Coronation Street, has denied that he sexually assaulted a teenage boy.
Lancel – 42 year-old and real name Andrew Watkinson – was charged last November over the alleged offence, which relates to one apparent victim and six counts of indecent assault of a child under the age of 15 between 1993 and 1994. Lancel hails from Gateacre in Liverpool and, as the Sun reports, it was Liverpool Crown Court where he had his hearing, during which he pled not guilty to all six counts of the sexually-based indecencies.
Lancel’s career has been somewhat of a stuttering success, although he can also count long-running Police-based soap The Bill on his list of acting credits. He appeared on Coronation Street for around two years, playing the role of Frank Foster between 2010 and 2012, when his storyline character was found murdered. Among the rest of his career ‘highlights’ are a one-off appearance in Midsomer Murders and a place in Celebrity Stars In Their Eyes, during which he performed as A-ha singer Morten Harket and won. At the court at the weekend he was granted bail until his five-day trial starts on June 3.
Andrew Lancel, real name Andrew Watkinson, is accused of sexual assault.
Former Coronation Street actor Andrew Lancel has denied child sex charges, pleading not guilty to sexually assaulting a teenage boy at Liverpool Crown Court this week. Lancel, 42, real name Andrew Watkinson, is accused of six counts of indecent assault on a child under the age of 15, reports BBC News.
The actor, who played Frank Foster in the long-running ITV soap, has been charged in relation to one male victim, with the alleged offence taking place between 1993 and 1994, the court heard. Mr Lancel was granted bail until his trial starts on June 2, 2013. He appeared in Coronation Street between January 2011, until March 2012, playing a role in several of the major storylines at the time.
The trail comes as fellow Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell awaits his child sex trial in early September. Le Vell, who plays mechanic Kevin Webster in the soap, faces 19 child sex charges, including rape. The offenses allegedly took place between 2001 and 2010. He split from his wife, Janette Beverley, last year. Mr Le Vell has always maintained his innocence throughout the investigation.
Continue reading: Coronation Street Actor Andrew Lancel Denies Sexually Assaulting Boy, 15