Veteran crooner Wayne Newton is facing financial ruin after cancelling a string of lucrative concerts to nurse his sick daughter back to health.
The singer scrapped a number of shows at the Tropicana hotel in Las Vegas last month (Feb10) after his pregnant daughter Erin, 33, was admitted to hospital in St. Louis, Missouri in a serious condition.
Erin, who was adopted by Newton during his first marriage to Elaine Okamura, suffered liver, kidney and respiratory failure, forcing doctors to deliver her baby weeks early before she fell into a coma last Thursday (25Feb10). She is thought to have HELLP syndrome, (Hemolytic anaemia, Elevated Liver enzymes and Low Platelet count), a rare but life-threatening pregnancy-related illness.
She has since regained consciousness and Newton is delighted - but his bedside vigil has cost him big and he's struggling to keep the debt collectors away, according to the National Enquirer.
A source says, "Wayne's gone from being the highest-paid entertainer in the world to being broke. He owes money everywhere in Las Vegas and beyond... (But) Erin's plight is much more important to Wayne than any money problems."
The tabloid reports claim Las Vegas authorities descended upon his Sin City ranch last week (ends26Feb10), while he was at the St. Louis hospital, to collect a $500,000 (£312,500) court judgement relating to a bank loan he reportedly reneged on.
However, Newton's security guards refused to accept the court documents and the cops from the local Sheriff's Office left the property empty-handed.
Sources close to Newton blame years of bad money management by his team of advisors for his financial troubles.
One insider says, "He trusted people who robbed him blind - and he spent money like there was no tomorrow. The standing order in Wayne's office was that no one could speak to him about bills or creditors. It was made clear that his job was to perform, smile at fans and then go home and go to bed. I'm guessing that even today he doesn't know half of what he owes or to whom."
Newton, 67, hit the headlines last month (Feb10) when he was accused of failing to pay almost $60,000 (£37,500) in storage fees to keep his private jet in a hanger at the Oakland County International Airport in Michigan for nearly three years.