The Los Angeles County prosecutor is citing the mogul’s prior rap sheet as reason for the hefty bail tag.
Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight is expected to return to court on Friday, for a bail hearing in the murder case against the 49 year old. A Los Angeles prosecutor reportedly filed a motion on Thursday asking that judge set Knight’s bail at $25 million, citing his previous run-ins with the law.
Suge Knight is currently being held in Los Angeles
The Los Angeles Times reports that court papers filed on Thursday by Deputy District Attorney. Cynthia J. Barnes describe Knight as, a “prolific and unrepentant criminal” who has led a “shameless life of crime”.
The papers then use nearly 300 pages to document the Death Row Records cofounder’s past and ‘more than two dozen police reports and an affidavit that implicate Knight in robberies, extortion, money laundering, assaults, witness intimidation and battery,’ according to the newspaper.
Inside the document it is revealed prosecutors suspect Knight of extorting “taxes” from rappers and athletes who want to work in Los Angeles or Las Vegas, according to a sworn affidavit submitted by Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Richard Biddle.
The document is also said to have listed the production of upcoming NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton as sparking Knight’s anger last year.
Knight has been held without bail since February, when he was charged with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges after an incident in a Compton, California, parking lot where two men were struck by a vehicle.
The 49 year old has pleaded not guilty to the charges and his lawyer has since claimed he was ambushed. Earlier this month Knight told the court he was going blind in prison, stating he could not see out of one eye and had just 15% vision left in the other.