Suge Knight could be going to prison for a long time, but maintains his innocence.
Suge Knight, the former rap music mogul and founder of Death Row Records, has been charged with murder after a fatal hit-and-run in Compton last week, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney. If convicted, Knight could face life in state prison.
Suge Knight could face the rest of the life in prison if convicted
The charges came just hours after Knight's $2.2 million bail was revoked. County Sheriff's department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida told the Times that Knight's bail was pulled for the following reasons: "Possible flight risk, three-strike candidate, possible witness intimidation issues and his criminal past."
The 49-year-old is accused of running down Terry Carter and Cle "Bone" Sloan with his truck. Carter was killed, while Sloan suffered serious injuries.
A confrontation began Thursday afternoon when Knight and the victims began arguing on the set of the N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton. It is not known why the former mogul was on the set and he does not appear to be credited in the film.
His attorney James E. Blatt told the Times that his client was being assaulted and accidentally ran over the two men while trying to flee. He described Knight as a good friend of the victim who was trying to break up a fight. Prosecutors argue Knight's actions were intentional.
Sgt Richard Biddle of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the Carter family told investigators they disagree with that.
"They say that Suge and their father are not close friends," Biddle said, "It looks like an intentional act."
"There's a whole bunch of people we still need to interview," he added, "but no one is coming forward to cooperate."
Knight, who was declared bankrupt in 2006, has served numerous stints in prison including when he was sentenced to nine years for violating the terms of his probation in 1997.