Suge Knight says he is going blind in prison.
Suge Knight has told a Los Angeles judge that he is not getting proper medical treatment in custody and is going blind. The 49-year-old music mogul - in custody on murder and hit-and-run charges - appeared in court early on Monday (March 2) and was taken to a hospital the same morning.
Suge Knight says he is going blind in prison and only has 15% vision left in one eye
Knight has pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges after it was claimed he hit two men with his truck, killing one, on January 29. Knight is being held without bail after the defence successfully argued that he could intimidate witnesses.
David Kenner had been representing Knight, though the former founder of Death Row Records told the Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Brandlin that he had "fired" his lawyers.
Knight claims he is blind in one eye and says he has about 15% vision in the other. Monday was the third time he has been taken to hospital since being charged with the murder of Terry Carter, 55.
"At this time, I don't know if I can proceed," he told the judge of his failing eyesight, "...sometimes I can't comprehend what's going on."
The mogul claimed to have been shot six times last year and says he has a blood clot in his lungs.
Knight's next hearing will be on March 9 although it is believed a hearing may not happen until March 20. His medical claims may complicate things even further.
Knight served a 10-month jail stint in 2003 after getting into a scuffle outside a Hollywood nightclub.