Actress Sophia Bush had a narrow escape on Christmas Day (25Dec14) when a fire broke out in her living room while she was unwrapping her presents.

The One Tree Hill star posted a picture of the incident on her page, showing the moment a candle set a pile of tissue paper on fire.

Bush's mother was taking pictures at the time, and the snap captures the star's panicked reaction as the paper goes up in flames.

She added in the caption, "That time my mom was taking pictures of me opening my Christmas presents and she didn't notice that she'd set her own gift on fire. Candle + tissue paper = whoops holidays I'm dreaming of a firey Christmas."

Bush later returned to the photo-sharing website to post a picture of the fire damage, which included the charred remains of a book her mother had been given for Christmas.

She writes, "People have asked what the aftermath of the xmas fire looked like... Whelp (sic). Mom's... book now looks like a marshmallow. But the pages are okay. Close call firey Christmas I put out the fire didn't even call truck 81 (fire crew)."