Lucy Lawless says it's just a rumour, but we can dream.
So, rumours are circulating that a modern reboot of the 90s cult show 'Xena: Warrior Princess' is set to hit screens in the near future. It would be great to see Lucy Lawless back in that badass leather corset but, chances are, if it does ever return, it's likely to have a new wearer. But who should it be?
In a world where feminism has become re-invigorated and strong female role models are being taken seriously in movies and on the small screen, it seems only right that 'Xena: Warrior Princess' be brought back as part of this phenomenon. According to The Hollywood Reporter, original executive producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi are involved in her resurrection (literally) with the series suggested to arrive in 2016 and take on a kind of Katniss Everdeen in 'The Hunger Games' angle. Original star Lucy Lawless is keen to crush our dreams, though, telling Twitter, 'Sorry, friends! news of a #Xena reboot is just a rumor. I'd love it to happen one day but it's still in the wishful thinking stage', but it still got us thinking about who we'd like to see in the role if it ever did come back.
1. Gina Carano - Top of the list has got to be this MMA champion, best recognised for her role in 'Fast & Furious 6'. Not only is Gina Carano genuinely an excellent fighter (who needs a chakram when your bare hands will do?) but she's definitely got the body and she's used to stunt work by now having also appeared in high-action thrillers like 'Haywire' and 'In The Blood'. Plus, she's just as beautiful as Flawless Lawless. Gina for Xena! (Sorry, I'll stop).
2. Charlize Theron - So maybe it's a bit ambitious to hope for an Oscar winning Hollywood superstar to return to the small screen for a potentially risky TV reboot. But after Charlize Theron's sensational performance in 'Mad Max: Fury Road', she's definitely formidable enough to play a modern day Xena. She'd be used to the super uncomfortable looking costume too, looking at the sort of things she had to wear for 'Snow White and the Huntsman' and - going further back - 2005's 'Æon Flux'.
3. Zooey Deschanel - For the 'Xena' purists out there, 'New Girl' star Zooey Deschanel looks strikingly similar to a younger Lawless. And while she might not have the background to be involved in such a huge adventure franchise, it's worth noting that the show was important for its comedy factor - and who else could bring back those hilariously sarcastic remarks and moments of ridiculousness better than Deschanel?
4. Ronda Rousey - For pretty much the same reasons as Gina Carano, except that Ronda Rousey is an undefeated UFC champion who broke records after her 14 second defeat of Cat Zingano earlier this year, and can take down anyone just by trash talking. Plus, her love of playing 'World of Warcraft' in her spare time only suggests that would love to get to be a part of a fantasy adventure like 'Xena'.
Ronda Rousey is the real life Xena
5. Ruby Rose - The world fell in love with her when she joined the cast of 'Orange Is the New Black', and Ruby Rose represents a lot about femininity and humanity that needs to be expressed in more TV shows. She would definitely be the perfect choice to add to that sexual tension between Xena and her best friend Gabrielle, and her gender ambiguity is maybe what is needed to modernise the franchise. And she's from Melbourne too! Not too far from New Zealand native Lawless.
6. Gemma Arterton - After watching her in 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time', it became all too easy to imagine Gemma Arterton in the role of a warrior princess, and after some of the stunts she pulled off in 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters' she knows how to get her fight face on so facing off against a few gods hellbent on her death shouldn't be too much of a problem.
7. Zoe Saldana - Simply because she was so scary in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and proved to know how to handle a good fight scene. It would also be refreshing to have a mixed-race actress take on such an iconic role. However, it's only wishful thinking because there's no way Zoe Saldana will have time to fit this in her schedule between another 'Star Trek' movie and three 'Avatar' sequels.
8. Laverne Cox - Because why the hell not? 'Orange Is The New Black' star Laverne Cox epitomises feminine strength and power, and she's faced worse battles in her real life than she ever could in character. She's an awesome role model too, which Xena was to many young girls growing up in the nineties. So what if she's transgender? 'Xena' would be the perfect character to cement Laverne Cox as the strong woman she truly is.
Watch the trailer for Bedtime Stories. Disneyâs new film stars Adam Sandler who plays Skeeter...
Who would've thought, in this dreary month of studio-dumped product, that true joy could come...