Speaking on Thursday in London, Jamie admitted that the pregnancy news had come as a surprise to everyone but that they were "really pleased".
Jamie Oliver and his wife Jools have announced that they’re expecting their fifth child together – but also revealed that it will be “the last one”.
The TV chef, 40, and 41 year old Jools have been married for 15 years and are already parents to three daughters (Poppy, 14, Daisy, 12, and Petal, 6) and one son (Buddy, 5). A source had told the Daily Mail on Thursday (March 17th): “Jools is radiant and blooming for the fifth time. The baby is expected in August.”
Jamie Oliver and Jools Oliver at the premiere of 'Eddie The Eagles' on Thursday (Mar 17)
On the same day as the couple revealed their happy news, they attended the red carpet premiere of the Eddie The Eagle biopic in London, with Jools already visibly displaying a baby bump. While there, Oliver spoke to The Mirror and said that although the news came as a surprise, they were both “really pleased” to be adding to their family.
“I thought we'd have a couple of kids but that's about it. Basically I do what I'm told but she's an amazing family maker and I just go with it!” he said. “I love kids. My family keep me honest, I have a weird job, a weird life, but my family keep me quite real.”
In another interview the same evening with The Sun, Oliver did admit that baby number five would definitely be the final addition to their brood. “This will be the last one. It is just getting ridiculous otherwise. This was not expected. I can’t even believe I’m saying it. My own family were shocked too.”
Jools Oliver with her children in London in 2012
Asked whether they were hoping for a boy or a girl, Oliver replied philosophically. “You know what, I'm always grateful for what I get, it would be nice to balance it out a bit! A bit more testosterone would probably be a good thing, but… I'm just grateful for whatever I get if it's healthy and I mean that sincerely.”
Earlier this week, Jamie had expressed delight at the sugar tax introduced by Chancellor George Osbourne in the recent budget, for which he has been publicly campaigning for a number of years. However, a number of social media users slammed the multi-millionaire celebrity chef for supporting a tax that will hit poorer people the hardest.