The Muzik nightclub in Toronto, hosting the annual OVO music festival afterparty, was the scene of a shooting that left two dead and three injured on Tuesday morning.
Reports are emerging about a deadly shooting at an afterparty hosted by rap megastar Drake in Toronto that has left two people dead and at least three critically injured.
The incident occurred at a nightclub opposite the Molson Amphitheatre in the Canadian city, which is Drake’s hometown and the venue for the annual OVO music festival which is curated by the rapper himself and had just finished its 2015 edition on Monday evening.
A deadly shooting occurred at an afterparty hosted by Drake in Toronto on Tuesday morning
Toronto Police Superintendent Frank Bergen told local news station CP24 that “sporadic” shooting began inside the Muzik nightclub at around 3:30am on Tuesday morning (August 4th) and spilled out on to the streets. The venue was packed with people in their 20s and 30s, and the shooting has so far cost the lives of a male and female, with three others transported to different hospitals.
One of the victims is said to have died at the scene, with the other being pronounced dead having been taken to hospital. The Toronto Star reported that a non-fatal shooting occurred at the same nightclub after the 2014 event, though that only injured one person.
The event started at 10pm on the Monday night, and was open to the public and advertised as “The official OVO fest after-party, hosted by Drake with music by Charlie B.” However, it is unclear whether Drake was inside the club at the time, considering the night was winding down when the shooting happened.
Earlier on Monday, Drake had used his festival-closing show to poke fun at his new rival Meek Mill, with whom a feud concerning ghostwriters has been rumbling since mid-July over social media. A guest-packed set featuring the likes of Kanye West and Pharrell Williams had closed out the festival that evening.
Drake has not made any official comments at the time of writing following the incident.