HQ: Kris Hallenga coming up on @BBCRadio2 just after 9am https://t.co/l1zaJZdugb
Dermot O'Leary and Claudia Winkleman arrive at the Service of Thanksgiving for Sir Terry Wogan. Friends, Family and colleagues gather at Westminster Abbey to celebrate the life of much loved broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan who died January 2016 - Tuesday 27th September 2016
The ‘X Factor’ returned on Saturday night with old faces back on the judging panel, but it wasn't enough to bring in the viewers.
The ‘x factor’s’ return on Saturday night gave the ITV talent show its lowest ratings for a series opener in 10 years, despite the revamped judging panel. On Saturday night Nicole Scherzinger, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh all returned to the show as judges, alongside Simon Cowell, while Dermot O’Leary was back as host.
‘X Factor’ judge Simon Cowell
But the much hyped return of the fan-favourite judges didn't give the show the ratings boost it had hoped for. On Saturday night 6.8 million viewers tuned in, which was 800,000 down from last year's launch episode and the lowest numbers for a series opener since 2005.
Cowell and Osbourne were conspicuously absent from the central London launch event of 2016's 'X Factor' this week.
56 year old Simon and 63 year old Sharon were both no-shows at the central London hotel on Thursday night (August 25th), as the other two judges Nicole Scherzinger and Louis Walsh were left to do press commitments.
Cowell is currently busy with the final stages of ‘America’s Got Talent’ and was obviously unavailable, but Osbourne’s excuse was ‘filming commitments’ – whatever that means.
Continue reading: Simon Cowell And Sharon Osbourne Miss 'The X Factor' Launch Event
Dermot is now back fronting the series after quitting in March last year.
Dermot O’Leary has revealed that ‘x factor’ boss Simon Cowell admitted he’d made a mistake by letting him leave the ITV talent show last year. Now back as host, Dermot confirmed that his exit last March was because he'd heard bosses were “looking at other presenters”.
Dermot O’Leary is back as the host of ‘X Factor’
Speaking to The Sun, Dermot said that he got a phone call from Simon in February, where the music mogul told him: “I’ve made a mistake, I’d love to get you back.” Dermot then flew to Hollywood to meet Simon where they spent three hours “chatting about the show and life in general”.
The new series sees familiar faces back on the judging panel.
ITV have confirmed that the new series of ‘The X Factor’ will return on Saturday 27 August 2016 at 8pm and Sunday 28 August at 8pm. The new series sees the return of original judges Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh, as well as former judge Nicole Scherzinger, alongside Simon Cowell.
Judges Simon Cowell and Nicole Scherzinger
A short teaser for the series has also been released, giving a glimpse of some hopefuls as well as the judges’ reactions, set to Girls Aloud’s ‘Something Kinda Ooh’. The show will be hoping to return to form this series after suffering low ratings last year.
Continue reading: 'The X Factor' Confirms Return Date: What We Know So Far
The presenter was previously rumoured to have been in talks to take over as presenter.
Dermot O’Leary has said he was never even in the running to become the new host of ‘Top Gear’ after Jeremy Clarkson’s departure last year. But now Chris Evans has left, the show could once again be looking for a new host, however Dermot doesn't want the job.
Dermot O’Leary wouldn't want to host ‘Top Gear’.
Speaking to Digital Spy, the presenter said: "[There was] never a word in anger or in good nature spoken to anyone on Top Gear. If we're honest, even though I enjoy parts of the show, it's not a job that I've ever wanted, so I've never sort of been pushing my guys to go for it and similarly I don't think I'm the right fit for it.”
Continue reading: Dermot O'Leary Says He Wouldn't Want To Host 'Top Gear'
The deal will make O’Leary the best-paid solo presenter on British television.
Dermot O’Leary’s return to the ‘X Factor’ has reportedly come with a huge price tag, which will make the 43-year-old the highest paid presenter on British television. The Sun reports that O’Leary’s new deal is worth £8 million and is a four year contract with the show.
Dermot O’Leary is now the highest paid presenter on British television.
O’Leary will also be allowed to make money elsewhere, including from his BBC presenting gigs and his Radio 2 show. Including his work outside the ‘X Factor’, O’Leary is looking to pocket at least £3 million a year.
Continue reading: Dermot O'Leary "Signs £8 Million Deal For 'X Factor' Return"
The presenter was replaced by Caroline Flack and Olly Murs for one series
He broke Saturday night TV watchers hearts all over the country when he announced his departure last year but now, after just one series away, Dermot O’Leary is returning "home" to The X Factor and is "flattered" to be asked back to the reality singing show.
Dermot will be back on our screens later this year as presenter of The X Factor
Continue reading: Dermot O'Leary Returns "Home" To The X Factor
After Olly Murs and Caroline Flack confirmed their departure, 'The X Factor' is said to be looking to bring back O’Leary.
With the next series of ‘The X Factor’ seemingly in turmoil after a string of departures, bosses are said to be looking to former presenter Dermot O’Leary to return to the show. O’Leary is said have been told he could ‘name his price’ to return to the series, with a potential three year deal being looked at.
Is Dermot O’Leary set for an X Factor return.
According to The Sun, O’Leary, who was previously paid £1million per series, will be back as host, with the deal currently being thrashed out. “Dermot will come back to The X Factor. Talks are under way on his deal but everything is positive,” an insider told the newspaper.
Continue reading: Dermot O'Leary Told To 'Name His Price' For 'X Factor' Return
The presenting duo have left the ITV talent show after just one series.
‘The X Factor’ co-presenters Caroline Flack and Olly Murs have confirmed they’ve left the ITV talent show after days of rumours concerning their future. The duo, who previously presented spin-off series ‘The Xtra Factor’, took the reigns of the main show last year, following the departure of Dermot O’Leary.
Caroline Flack and Olly Murs’ time on ‘The X Factor’ is over.
In a statement to The Sun Murs said: “This was an incredibly hard decision to make and one I didn’t take lightly as I’ve really enjoyed co-hosting ‘The X Factor’. It’s been one big adventure and I loved every minute of it. But my heart belongs to music and I want to concentrate 100 per cent on making my next album and getting back to performing.”
Continue reading: Olly Murs And Caroline Flack Confirm 'X Factor' Departure
The former ‘X-Factor’ host had previously stated he thinks it’s time the show took a break.
‘X-Factor’ boss Simon Cowell has hit back at the show’s former host Dermot O’Leary. O’Leary, who left the ITV talent show last year, hosted the National Television Awards on January 20th and used his opening monologue to cheekily reference his ‘X-Factor’ exit.
Simon Cowell has responded to Dermot O’Leary’s comments during the NTAs.
“I’ve still got this job... for now,” O’Leary said while opening the ceremony. Speaking to The Sun, during the first 'Britain's Got Talent' auditions last week Cowell fired back saying. “He’s got the NTA job – yeah, for once a year. That’s a big move.”
Continue reading: Simon Cowell Fires Back At Dermot O'Leary Over 'X-Factor' Comments
The former ‘X-Factor’ host thinks the talent show needs a rest and should go back to room auditions.
After suffering from low rating’s last year, most agree that it’s time the ‘X-Factor’ had a bit of a shake-up. But the talent competition’s former host Dermot O’Leary has gone further and said he thinks the best thing Simon Cowell could do is take the show off air for a whole year.
Dermot O’Leary thinks the ‘X-Factor’ could benefit from a year off.
“If I was Simon I’d take [The X Factor] off air for a year,” O’Leary told the Radio Times magazine. “I’d rest it.”
Wogan recently had back surgery and has been ordered to rest by doctors, but O'Leary will be filling in for him.
Veteran BBC presenter Sir Terry Wogan has announced that he’ll be forced to miss out on hosting ‘Children In Need’ tonight, and has been replaced with former ‘X Factor’ presenter Dermot O’Leary.
Wogan is one of the network’s most established stars, and has been the face of the annual telethon broadcast since it started in 1980. However, the BBC confirmed on Thursday night (November 12th), less than a day before the broadcast, that the 77 year old has been ordered to rest by doctors after undergoing a medical procedure on his back this week, and will therefore not be able to take part in the six-and-a-half hour programme.
Dermot O'Leary, pictured with his wife, will be filling in for Sir Terry Wogan on 'Children In Need' 2015
Dermot O'Leary confirmed that Gary Barlow will be leaving the show, fuelling speculation that Simon Cowell will return.
Speaking at the premiere of One Direction: This Is Us, the popular host was quizzed on speculation that Simon Cowell may be considering a return to the UK panel.
"If Simon [Cowell] comes back, the dynamic would be very different.Gary wouldn't be there - he'll be leaving at the end of this year," he told reporters.
Dermot O'Leary gives us the inside track on the X-Factor gossip
While everyone’s awaiting the return of The X-Factor, there’s the small matter of who will judge the talent left to sort out. Although, according to the show’s host Dermot O’Leary, no one is a dead cert.
"No one has been confirmed," he said in an interview with ITV, and that’s all he had to say on the matter. It’s sort of enough, isn’t it? He had more words for his and Gary Barlow’s relationship, which seems to be blossoming into a fully blown bromance. "I get a few texts from Gary from time to time [and] we see each other quite a lot and he's the one I go out for dinner with and have fun with." Another hosting sport to be sorted is the Xtra Factor slot. And with Olly Murs on tour with Robbie Williams, it’ll have to be a big character. "Well I will miss Olly,” says Dermot, “because he's like a little brother to me, but I'm so glad for him, because he loves doing this and the only reason he wouldn't do this is because he's so busy."
One name mooted for Olly’s old spot is last year’s contestant Rylan Clark. He certainly fulfils the cocky quota, but will Flack be alright with that? “I think Rylan would be good,” explains Rylan, “but the most important thing is that Caroline (Flack) is happy."
It looks like x factor host Dermot O'Leary and co-judge Nicole Scherzinger showed up to the wrong set earlier this week, as the pair winded up pulling pints at Coronation Street's world famous Rovers Return pub, as opposed to getting ready for tonights X Factor grand finale.
Whilst everyone else involved in tonight's (Dec 8) live final, O'Leary and his Pussycat Doll sidekick found time to sneak away from final of the ninth X Factor series to visit one of Manchester's most famous pubs. Nicole tweeted a picture of the two on Thursday (Nov 6) behind the bar at the Rovers with the pints they pulled, with the cheeky caption "Oh... Just another day at the office!" - but judging by the standard of their pints, its probably best if they stick to their day jobs.
After the little excursion though it was time to get back to work, with Dermot heading back down to the studio to check out the rehearsals and Nicole getting ready for a few rehearsals of her own. As was the case last year, the final three acts will perform a duet with their mentor as part of their farewell performance, meaning Nicole will be singing twice with her pupils James Arthur and Jahmene Douglas, whilst top dog judge Gary Barlow will be taking to the stage to sing with Christopher Maloney. Next year, we really do hope that one of Louis' lot make it to the final to see how he does.
Christopher Maloney, the Liverpudlian singer on this year's X Factor competition, has received death threats in the wake of Ella Henderson's shock elimination from the show. Though Maloney is old fashioned, over the top and lacking in any kind of star power, he continues to cruise through in the public vote at the expense of his more talented rivals.
Sunday evening's elimination saw Grimsby based Henderson kicked out of the competition, with the well-fancied James Arthur also finding himself in the bottom two. Maloney was a wild-card entry in the competition but has been dubbed "cheesy" by the judges from day one. His entry through to the final five resulted in a barrage of death threats from angry Twitter users, one of who said, "Oh my god I feel to cry. I'm gobsmacked. Christopher Maloney I will kill you in ur sleep." Another simply wrote, "CHRISTOPHER MALONEY KILL YOURSELF." One user threatened to 'hunt him down' before branding the singer a "fat orange turd." Another suggested, "Christopher Maloney needs to be taken to the nearest cliff/bridge/cruise ship and be pushed off it. Die." Nice. On last night's spin off show The Xtra Factor, Maloney defended his position on the show, saying, "My fans have been with me throughout. Ella was brought in, the judges picked her. I was not picked by the judges, I was the wildcard and I was the wildcard for the public choice and the public have stayed with me right from the beginning." The death threats appear to strengthen the case to wave goodbye to The X Factor, a tired format that rarely rewards the most talented contestant. Without Simon Cowell, the judging line-up has been lacking any real bite in recent years and Dermot O'Leary has worn the same grey suit for 3 years straight.
The producers of x factor UK have found themselves in hot water once more, by faking a live performance from One Direction. The sixth week of live shows was themed ‘Best of British’ and the boy band were shown performing live on the X Factor stage. However, MTV have reported that the segment was actually filmed around a month ago. Which makes the image of Dermot O’Leary giving a ‘thumbs-up’ to the stage area a little odd, really.
Apparently, in an attempt to fool viewers into thinking that One Direction were live in the studio, the judges even wore the same outfits when the performance was filmed. The performance from Harry Styles & co was billed as “live from London” which… it sort of was… but probably not in the way that the majority of viewers will have expected. Dermot didn’t actually say that the band was live. But he didn’t exactly explain that the segment was pre-recorded, either. Which would have been the honourable thing to do. What he did say was “We have been celebrating the best of British tonight and they don't come any bigger or any more British than our next special guest. They have conquered the world and it all began for them here. We're the proudest parents on the planet as we welcome back with their new single – One Direction.”
The show’s producers weren’t the only ones feeling the heat on the weekend; boy band District 3 found themselves getting the boot yesterday as they were voted out in favour of the show’s other boy band Union J. Both band’s mentor, Louis Walsh, controversially decided not to vote. He really hasn’t got the hang of this ‘voting’ thing any more than the show’s producers have got a handle of the notion of a ‘live performance.’ There’ll be more drama to come before the show’s over.
Is The X Factor in trouble with Ofcom? A number of complaints have been made to the TV watchdog about X Factor UK, after a 51 year-old contestant’s children were filmed watching from the wings and seemed to be pretty uncomfortable watching their mother’s botched Lady GaGa performance. Alison Brunton seemed confident that she would win the judges over with her rendition of ‘Edge of Glory’ and told researchers beforehand that she was ready to pursue fame now that her children were a little older (they were aged 14 and 16).
However, her audition was disastrous and left the X Factor judges unimpressed. Her dire vocal performance led Mel B to state “That should never have happened” and Louis Walsh to remark “It was a bit like somebody drunk at a wedding.” Backstage, Dermot O’Leary sensed her children’s discomfort and said “you want to be anywhere else but here right now…” Her son said “I’m never going to hear the end of this,” when he was asked if he would be teased at school. Under the broadcasting code, under-18s must not be “caused unnecessary distress or anxiety by their involvement in programmes.” 35 complaints were made to Ofcom regarding the way the children were treated during the filming of the segment, according to BBC News.
A spokeswoman from ITV has defended the use of the footage, by saying “The X Factor does not include child contestants but takes the welfare of any children featured in the show very seriously. It is a well-established format and contestants regularly bring along their family to support them, as Alison did. Footage of family members is only used when appropriate consent has been obtained."
Date of birth
24th May, 1973
HQ: Kris Hallenga coming up on @BBCRadio2 just after 9am https://t.co/l1zaJZdugb
HQ: Live on @BBCRadio2 from 8am. https://t.co/m9Pdaufx54
RT @GylesB1: Just been popping up on @thismorning with my friend @radioleary & it turns out be both had books published yesterday. I’m get…
RadioHQ: on Saturday Breakfast tomorrow morning on @bbcradio2 we are joined by Kris Hallenga to chat about her memo… https://t.co/94eOLjgRmF
My fifth Toto the Ninja Cat children’s book is out today! In this book, Toto and the gang are off to Scotland to in… https://t.co/rcSWovs184
HQ: If you missed Saturday Breakfast with Harry Enfield, a new Mystery Voice, bridesmaids and wrong lullabies...it… https://t.co/tMmBxzqyTy
RT @TheOraEtLabora: Dermot's new music pick on Saturday Breakfast was @joycrookes https://t.co/2zdlqJMRns @BBCRadio2 @radioleary
RADIOHQ: This is our playlist for Inappropriate Lullabies. Thanks to everyone who has been on air on @bbcradio2 and… https://t.co/Yy58uCEUxy
RadioHQ: Back on @BBCRadio2 from 8am for Saturday Breakfast. We have Harry Enfield calling in from London's glitter… https://t.co/qJUwmrXHgQ
RT @TheOraEtLabora: This Saturday morning on @bbcradio2 Dermot will be chatting to Harry Enfield. Then from 3pm @rylan has @BeckyHill on. h…
RT @thismorning: We can sense a little bit of tension already, as @PaddyMcGuinness gets the digs in early 😂⚽ @radioleary joins us live fro…
RT @TheOraEtLabora: Busy Saturday coming up on @BBCRadio2. Saturday Breakfast with @bbcpaddy in the hot seat with @Mo_Farah for @socceraid…
This was phenomenal tonight. Heartbreaking. Catch it on the iplayer. https://t.co/PU4fTcbXUq
RT @Waterstones: Join @radioleary for a fun online event to celebrate Toto The Ninja Cat! Dermot will introduce you to real-life Toto, tell…
RadioHQ: Morning everyone. Live on @BBCRadio2 from 8am with actor Timothy Spall, talking about his new movie The La… https://t.co/PFCjA0P6ce
I will be chatting to CITV’s @SamHomewood on 8th September in a special online event with @Waterstones talking abou… https://t.co/pwdRnkjG00
RT @Waterstones: Join @radioleary and the real life inspiration behind 'Toto the Ninja Cat' for a live, fun-filled online event! As well as…
RT @TheOraEtLabora: From 8am on @BBCRadio2 we have @vernonkay in the hot seat. Joined by @AldoKane and @thecoastguy https://t.co/eg1ka5DDCV
RadioHQ: If you are a bridesmaid or mother of the bride/groom next Sat Aug 28th, drop us a line at [email protected]… https://t.co/fsiESU8dYt
RT @AldoKane: On @BBCRadio2 tomorrow morning at 0900 hrs talking to @vernonkay about #LessonsFromTheEdge. *from the OceanXplorer in the hig…