Hundreds of music videos will be removed from YouTube if the artists' record labels do not sign up to the sites new subscription service. Music videos by artists such as Adele and Arctic Monkeys could be removed from the site as their independent labels have refused to sign YouTube's licensing terms, meaning their videos could be removed within days.

Adele's music videos could face removal.

YouTube's new subscription service will charge users to listen to music without advertisements and allow users to download tracks on to their mobiles. The service is due to start a trial within the next few days and will enable users to upgrade their current YouTube and Google apps to a paid for subscription in which they will be able to watch and download music videos even without internet connection. After an initial trial, the service should become available to all users by the end of the summer. 

Read More: Turner Prize 2014 Shortlist: YouTube Artist Among Nominees In 'Most Accessible' List Yet.

As the Financial Times reports, YouTube's head of content and business operations Robert Kyncl has stated these labels are in the minority. He estimated 90% of labels have agreed to sign the terms and conditions but the remaining 10% have not and are attempting to block YouTube removing their artists' videos. 

Arctic Monkeys
The Arctic Monkeys videos could also be removed.

The record labels in question, represented by trade body Impala, have asked the European regulators to intervene on their behalf. They claimed, as the FT reports, YouTube issued an "explicit threat" to remove their videos if they did not sign the agreement.  The concern of music labels appears to surround the deal YouTube is offering. Allegedly, the two main labels who are refusing to sign are XL Recordings (who represent Adele) and Domino (representing Arctic Monkeys). It has been suggested they are simply holding out as a means of reaching a more lucrative deal. However, Kyncl stated "We're paying them fairly and consistently with the industry."

Regardless of the threat posed by independent labels, Kyncl stated the company are not overly concerned by those who have not signed the terms. He said "While we wish that we had 100 per cent success rate, we understand that is not likely an achievable goal and therefore it is our responsibility to our users and the industry to launch the enhanced music experience."

Read More: Avril Lavigne's Hello Kitty Video Taken Off Youtube After Racism Allegations.

Adele's label is rumoured to have refused to sign YouTube's terms.