Latin superstar Alejandro Fernandez has assured fans he is recovering well after a dog bite wound became infected and led to his hospitalisation.
The singer checked himself into a medical facility in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico last week (ends03Jun16) and rumours subsequently suggested he needed urgent treatment after being attacked by a jaguar.
Sources even told TVnotas magazine Alejandro's infection had become so serious, he was at risk of losing his limb.
However, the 45-year-old son of ranchera legend Vicente Fernandez has since spoken out to clear up the wild claims.
In a statement released to the press, he explains, "They say a dog is a man's best friend and my dogs are my greatest treasures, they are my family. I am aware that (his dog) Kush's bite was an accident, we were playing. I love my dogs and I want to give them all the best."
Alejandro goes on to express his gratitude to his family and fans now he's on the road to recovery after a tough few days: "After this sad episode, I have been thinking a lot. I realized that life is so fragile and it can fade away any minute. We only have one life and it's up to us to make it wonderful, which is why I thank life itself for letting be with my family one more day, and of course, my beloved audience.
"I know I have many reasons to keep fighting and I will continue to get better. There will be Alejandro for many more years (sic)."
Representatives at the singer's management firm, Star Productions, also revealed further details about the accident, claiming it occurred last month (May16), when Alejandro tried to treat the bite with local remedies. After realising it had become badly infected, he turned to professionals for help, and was diagnosed with gas gangrene, a potentially deadly bacterial infection.
Fernandez had to pull out of a few shows following the incident, but at press time, he is still scheduled to hit the stage in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic on Saturday (11Jun16), reports the Latin Times.