The US Library of Congress have released the list of 25 movies that will be added to the National Film Registry, including 'Airplane!', 'The Exoricst' and 'Maloclm X'.
The three titles were among 25 movies selected by the US Library of Congress for preservation this year, bringing the total number of works from the last century on the list of "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" works to 550.
Librarian of Congress James Billington, who revealed the movies for inclusion, said: "The National Film Registry is a reminder to the nation that the preservation of our cinematic creativity must be a priority because about half of the films produced before 1950 and as much as 90 per cent of those made before 1920 have been lost to future generations,"
The oldest film currently included on the registry is 1891's 'Newark Athlete'.
According to the library, the movie's creators later went on to make the world's first motion picture camera, the Edison Kinetograph.
Library of Congress' National Film Registry inductees 2010:
1. 'Airplane' (1980)
2. 'All the President's Men' (1976)
3. 'The Bargain' (1914)
4. 'Cry of Jazz' (1959)
5. 'Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB' (1967)
6. 'The Empire Strikes Back' (1980)
7. 'The Exorcist' (1973)
8. 'The Front Page' (1931)
9. 'Grey Gardens' (1976)
10. 'I Am Joaquin' (1969)
11. 'It's a Gift' (1934)
12. 'Let There Be Light' (1946)
13. 'Lonesome' (1928)
14. 'Make Way For Tomorrow' (1937)
15. 'Malcolm X' (1992)
16. 'McCabe and Mrs. Miller' (1971)
17. 'Newark Athlete' (1891)
18. 'Our Lady of the Sphere' (1969)
19. 'The Pink Panther' (1964)
20. 'Preservation of the Sign Language' (1913)
21. 'Saturday Night Fever' (1977)
22. 'Study of a River' (1996)
23. 'Tarantella' (1940)
24. 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' (1945)
25. 'A Trip Down Market Street' (1906)
Set in the beautiful Swiss Alps, Youth sees Michael Caine & Harvey Keitel in a fine piece of work.
This biopic gallops through the career of groundbreaking gangsta rappers N.W.A, working its way through a checklist of the major events.
New reports indicate that eagerly awaited albums by Adele and Coldplay are set...
Like an antidote to vacuous blockbusters, this intelligent, thoughtful drama packs more intensity into a quiet conversation than any number of...