Sage Stallone's death was not a drug overdose. The results of the toxicology report have revealed that Sylvester Stallone 's son died of a heart attack and there were apparently no signs of excessive drug use, according to The Guardian today (August 31, 2012). Fred Corral of the coroner's investigative division is quoted as saying "There were no signs of an overdose. It was just a natural death." The official verdict states that he suffered a coronary heart attack, brought on by atherosclerosis.
Stallone did have a "small amount" of sedative - namely hydrocodone - in his body, but Corral stated that the amount found in his system was an "acceptable level" that anyone taking the over-the-counter medication could have in their system. It is not thought to have contributed to his death. No other drugs were found in the toxicology tests. At the time of his death, on July 13, 2012, police suspected foul play, or possibly an overdose, as a huge number of empty drug bottles were found at his home. He was aged 36 at the time of his death.
In a recent interview with Good Morning America, Sylvester Stallone said "Time hopefully will heal and you try to get through it, but it's just something ... it's a reality of life." The 66 year old actor has not been seen in public a great deal since his son's death, though his latest movie, The Expendables 2 opened in movie theatres recently.