Nigella Lawson - Nigella Lawson Accuses Ex-husband Of Smear Campaign
Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson has accused her ex-husband Charles Saatchi of trying to destroy her reputation by spreading false allegations she was hooked on drugs in the wake of their split earlier this year (13).
The British Tv star took to the stand at Isleworth Crown Court in London on Wednesday (04Nov13) to testify in the fraud trial of her former personal assistants, Italian sisters Francesca and Elisabetta Grillo.
In a pre-trial hearing, an email was revealed in which Saatchi claimed that the defendants "would get off" because Lawson was "so off your head on drugs you allowed them to spend whatever they like".
Giving evidence on Wednesday, Lawson sensationally claimed Saatchi has made up the drug allegation as a revenge tactic because she refused to clear his name after the now infamous pictures of the art dealer grabbing her by the throat were published.
She told the court, "He said if I didn't go back to him and clear his name he would destroy me. He started spreading false allegations of drug use... I felt his way was to get back at me and use this case... I have been put on trial here... I'm glad to be able to answer the allegation."
The Grillo sisters are accused of defrauding the couple of $1.02 million (£685,000) by using their credit cards for personal gain.
The trial continues.