News Corp's Legal Fees For Hacking Rises To $382 Million
Over the past two years, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp has spent $382 million on legal fees resulting from the ongoing phone-hacking scandal that forced it to shut down its 168-year-old News of the World tabloid in July 2011. The company said in an SEC filing that it could be liable for another $66 million in legal costs this year as scheduled criminal proceedings against some of its top executives and editors begin in London. The scandal has yet to erupt in the U.S. as authorities await the conclusion of the criminal proceedings in the U.K. (Last week, the Daily Telegraph revealed that Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller had flown to London to meet with two senior News Corp lawyers in preparation for an investigation into allegations that U.S. citizens may also have been hacked by News Corp staff.) In a related development, today's (Tuesday) Hollywood Reporter disclosed that News Corp lawyers are attempting to block a lawsuit filed by Eunice Huthart, a British citizen who says that she worked as a stunt double for Angelina Jolie and became a close friend of the actress. In a filing, the company has asked a federal court in California to dismiss the lawsuit, noting that it has been brought by a citizen and resident of the United Kingdom, against U.K. newspapers and their parent companies and that it has agreed to settle similar claims, delivering satisfaction to applicants. ... Not a single applicant to date has seen fit to take his or her case to a hearing.