Star of 'Friday Night Dinner' and teen comedy 'The Inbetweeners' Simon Bird has quelled rumours that a new Inbetweeners movie may be in the pipeline.

Speculation erupted earlier this year as to whether the team would reconvene for a sequel, when Damon Beesley and Iain Morris, creators of The Inbetweeners, told The Sun that they were "developing an idea for a sequel". In response to this however, Bird said that whether the project actually goes ahead depends on whether there is a "strong enough idea" and repeated that there "are no concrete plans" for it to be taken forward at this point.

In an interview with Digital Spy, Bird said "I think we all feel like the first film was a good conclusion to The Inbetweeners - but at the same time... if they come to us and say that they have a good idea for another one, then obviously we'd be happy to talk about it. They haven't done that yet, despite the papers saying that a sequel is confirmed." Although this isn't a concrete 'no' it certainly looks as though we might be waiting a long while for a sequel. If fans are heartbroken over this news, check out the US remake of the comedy, which began broadcasting on MTV this August.

With a £45m UK Box office revenue being taken at the release of the first film, it's easy to see why Beesley and Morris may want to continue the franchise, but the members of the cast are not desperate to get back to their roles. Simon Bird's other great success, 'Friday Night Dinner' returns this Sunday on Channel 4.