Actress Sienna Miller has told the Leveson Inquiry into press standards how she was "spat on" and "verbally abused" by a group of photographers who went to almost any lengths to provoke a reaction from her, reports the UK's Guardian newspaper.
Speaking at the high court in London on Thursday (24 November 2011), the actress told Lord Justice Leveson that she was hounded by photographers almost daily, with a group of 10 to 15 men often chasing her down streets on dark nights, saying, "It's very intimidating [but] because they have cameras it's legal". Miller, who was also a victim of phone hacking, claimed she couldn't understand how the newspapers were reporting on details only a few of her close family and friends would be privy to. The 29-year-old claimed to have changed her phone number three times in three months, but after stories still began surfacing, she began accusing those closest to her, saying, "There was one particular very private piece of information that only four people knew about. A journalist phoned up saying they knew about it so I accused my family . of selling the story". The actress sued the News of the World and won damages of 100,000 plus costs earlier this year.
Miller's appearances comes in the same week that British actor Hugh Grant tore into the UK tabloid press for hacking his phone, also accusing reporters of breaking into his house. Alan Partridge star Steve Coogan appeared before the inquiry on Tuesday.