MPs and the girl at the centre of the row over Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross' recent telephone prank have called for the pair to be sacked.

It was revealed yesterday that media watchdog Ofcom is to investigate the presenters after they made prank calls to Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs in which they joked about having sex with Sachs' granddaughter during a pre-recorded show, broadcast on October 18th.

And Georgina Bailie, the subject of Brand and Ross' prank voicemails, has told the Sun newspaper the BBC radio hosts "should at least pay for what they've done with their jobs".

The Conservative party's media spokesman Jeremy Hunt called for an investigation into the editorial policy that allowed the broadcast.

Prime minister Gordon Brown has also criticised the pair for their "inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour".

Ms Baillie, 23, admitted to feeling "betrayed" and "embarrassed" that her relationship with Brand had been publicly revealed to her grandfather.

She said he was "really upset, and says he wants the whole situation to end".

"They are beyond contempt," she said of Brand and Ross. "They are warped for what they have put me and my grandfather through.

"It was bad enough that they recorded these things on my grandfather's answer machine but astonishing the BBC saw fit to broadcast it when they could have stopped it.

"Someone high up at the BBC must have decided it was funny and suitable for national radio. They've shown an appalling lack of judgement."

Tim Davie, the BBC's audio and music director on Tuesday it was "too early to speculate" whether the pair's jobs were in jeopardy.

"We do offer an unreserved apology to Andrew Sachs and his family," he added.

"We do recognise this was an unacceptable broadcast and I am leading an investigation to ascertain the facts."

Sachs, 78, confirmed he had received "very apologetic" notes from both presenters.

"They are in trouble now, I don't want to put any more pressure on them," he told Metro.


29/10/2008 09:55:25