Harris will not face further trials after the jury at Southwark Crown Court was unable to reach a verdict in any of the four historic sexual assault charges.
Disgraced former entertainer Rolf Harris has been cleared of four sexual assault charges in addition to the convictions that sent him to prison three years ago, after a jury could not reach verdicts regarding any of the charges.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) also ruled out bringing a further re-trial against Harris, who had denied indecently assaulting three teenage girls at public and televised events between 1971 and 1983. It had been a re-trial on three old counts after a jury in a previous trial had also failed to reach verdicts, with a fourth count emerging subsequently.
“I feel no sense of victory, only relief,” a statement read by Harris’ lawyer outside Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday (May 30th) said. He added: “I'm 87 years old, my wife is in ill health and we simply want to spend our remaining time together in peace.”
Currently on trial for four further counts of indecent assault, Harris is to be released from Stafford prison on Friday.
Disgraced former children’s TV presenter Rolf Harris is set to be released from prison tomorrow as he continues to fight further child sex abuse charges, a court has heard today.
87 year old Harris was convicted and imprisoned in July 2014 for five years and nine months for 12 counts of indecent assault, following a much-publicised trial, bringing his decades-long showbusiness career to an end.
He is to be released from prison on Friday, and has been granted bail regarding ongoing further criminal proceedings for four charges of indecent assault, regarding a string of allegations that he groped teenage girls during television and celebrity appearances.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris To Be Released From Prison
The remaining members of the Lostprophets have formed a new band, No Devotion, but the associations with Ian Watkins remain. In a recent interview, Stuart Richardson and Lee Gaze have described how they have coped with the knowledge of Watkins' crimes.
When Ian Watkins pleaded guilty to 13 charges of sexual assault in December 2013, we all wondered how the rest of the Lostprophets simply could not have known that in their midst was a serial sex offender. At the time of Watkins' sentencing, they released a statement explaining they were entirely unaware of his crimes. Now, seven months on, Stuart Richardson and Lee Gaze have explained how they have dealt with the knowledge of their former front man's acts and sentencing.
No Devotion are keen to seperate themselves from the Lostprophets controversey
Watkins was first arrested and charged in December 2012. It took over a year for Watkins' case to be brought to court and his sentence was carried out last December. He was charged with 13 counts of sexual assault including attempted rape of a one-year-old child, possession of indecent images of children and another of animal pornography. With so many question and accusations levied at the band, as to how they could have been unknowing about their lead singer's sexual proclivities, what remained of the Lost Prophets released a statement. They stated "Many of you understandably want to know if we knew what Ian was doing. To be clear: We did not."
Continue reading: Former Lostprophets Band Mates On Ian Watkins: "What A F**king C**t"
The radio presenter didn't expect that revealing her assault at the hands of Rolf Harris would lead to online backlash.
Vanessa Feltz has spoken with horror and dismay towards the reaction she faced online after she revealed that disgraced TV presenter Rolf Harris touched her indecently. The radio presenter described how the disgraced entertainer put his hand up her dress and felt her legs during a The Big Breakfast interview in May 1996.
The 52 year-old presenter has criticised the reaction her admission attracted from social media users. Speaking to BBC London 94.9, she said: "The kind of reaction I have had, I found so upsetting. I was upset by the outpouring of misogyny and hatred and you know 'who would want to assault Vanessa Feltz'."
The 84 year-old artist, musician and television personality was sentenced last week to five years and nine months in jail for a series of sex attacks on girls as young as seven or eight. Feltz said she had kept quiet about the incident at the time because "I thought it only happened to me."
Continue reading: Vanessa Feltz Hit With “Bile” After Rolf Harris Assault Admission
Vanessa Feltz has explained why she did not contact the authorities after Rolf Harris allegedly attempted to assault her in 1996.
Vanessa Feltz has spoken out about her accusations against Rolf Harris. The television presenter spoke about the alleged incident, which occurred in 1996, whilst on her BBC London breakfast show on Monday morning (7th July).
Vanessa Feltz has explained why she did not contact the police after the alleged assault.
Rolf Harris' sentence has been confirmed as "unduly lenient"
Rolf Harris has been sentenced to the best part of 6 years in prison after he was found guilty for 12 counts of indecent assault. The sentence comes under the remit of “unduly lenient”, the office of the Attorney General has now confirmed.
Rolf Harris has been found guilty and sentenced on abuse charges - photo: Getty 2014, Tristan Fewings
The judge told Harris: "For well over 50 years you have been a popular entertainer and TV personality of international standing with a speciality in children's entertainment. You are also an artist of renown.
Rolf Harris has been found guilty of 12 counts of indecent assault.
Rolf Harris has been found guilty of 12 counts of indecent assault between 1968 and 1986. The charges relate to four alleged victims, the youngest of whom was just seven or eight at the time. The jury made up of six men and six women were sent out to consider their verdicts on June 19 and returned on Monday morning to deliver the decision.
Rolf Harris Was Found Guilty on 12 Counts
During the Rolf Harris trial, which opened on May 9, prosecutors claimed that the entertainer was a "Jekyll and Hyde" character who had a darker side to his personality and used his global fame to abuse young girls. His defence had said Harris' reputation had been "trashed" by the prosecution which did not reach the standard of criminal proof.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris Facing 10 Years In Prison After Guilty Verdicts
Rolf Harris is facing 12 charges of indecent assault
Prosecutor Sasha Wass QC has described Rolf Harris as a “Jekyll and Hyde” character to portray the alleged abuse for which he is currently a defendant in a high profile trial. She suggests Harris's alleged victims were overawed, saying: "Mr Harris was too famous, too powerful and his reputation made him untouchable," according to multiple sources, including Herald Scotland.
Rolf Harris is facing 12 charges of indecent assault
Harris’ case spans 25 years from the late 1960s and covers 10 complainants, none of whom can be named for legal reasons. Harris faces charges in connection with only four of these, with the remainder of the alleged offences taking place outside the UK before 1997, the date before they could be prosecuted in a British court.
Rolf Harris appeared in court on charges of sexual offences including nine counts of indecent assault and four of making indecent images of children. Harris was bailed and is set to appear in court again on 7th October.
Rolf Harris appeared in court yesterday, Monday 23rd September, charged with nine counts of indecent assault and four of making indecent images of children.
Rolf Harris outside the ITV studios, photographed before his legal troubles began.
Appearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court, the 83-year-old answered briefly to personal questions and was referred to Southwark Crown Court. He was granted bail and released with his first court appearance set for 7th October.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris In Court On Sex Offence Charges
Stuart Hall, at the age of 83, will spend over a year in prison for sexually abusing young girls.
Stuart Hall's prison sentence was passed down at Preston Crown Court on Monday (June 17, 2013), with the veteran BBC broadcaster told he will serve 15 months for sexually abusing under-age girls. Hall, 83, of Wilmslow, Cheshire, had admitted to 14 offences that occurred between 1967 and 1985. One of the girls was just nine-years-old when Hall assaulted her.
The broadcaster's barrister Crispin Aylett told the court that Hall has "all of 13" victims, compared to Jimmy Savile's 1,300. Prosecuting barrister Peter Wright QC said Hall's first victim was 16 at the time of the assault, with the TV personality meeting her at a prize giving ceremony at the BBC studios in Piccadilly, Manchester.
Continue reading: Stuart Hall Sent To Prison For 15 Months: Is It Long Enough?