Max Charles, Bailee Madison, Josh Hopkins, Tiffani Thiessen, Candice Glover, Jill St. John and Robert Wagner - Hallmark Channel's Northpole Screening Reception at La Piazza Restaurant at The Grove - Los Angeles, California, United States - Wednesday 5th November 2014
Robert Wagner, Jill St. John, Bailee Madison and Max Charles - Hallmark Channel's Northpole Screening Reception at La Piazza Restaurant at The Grove - Los Angeles, California, United States - Tuesday 4th November 2014
Robert Wagner might not be a suspect in his wife Natalie Wood’s death but, after the case was sensationally re-opened earlier in the week, he has been refusing police interviews.
Wood drowned off Catalina Island in 1981 whilst on a boat with her husband Wagner, actor Christopher Walken, and the boat’s captain. At the time, the cause of death was given as drowning, after an investigation. However, earlier this week the Los Angeles County coroner’s office changed the cause to ‘undetermined’, which means that the police have once again opened their lines of questioning – with Wagner one of the names on their list to question. "We reached out through his attorney and got rebuffed. We went to his home and he refused to talk us, and we sent him a letter, so I say it is fair to say he has declined to be interviewed, repeatedly," Los Angeles County Sheriff Lt. John Corina said Thursday, January 17.
Wagner had given interviews in the initial investigations in the 1980’s, but the sheriff said that he’d "changed his story over the years, as has the caretaker of the vessel." The reason that the case has been opened is owing to fresh bruising on the actress’ right forearm, left wrist and right knee, along with a scratch on her neck and a scrape on her forehead – none of which had been accounted for. This obviously leaves open the possibility that she was assaulted on the boat before drowning.
Robert Wagner is still not thought to be an official suspect in the death of his wife Natalie Wood, though the Hart To Hart star has "declined to be interviewed" by police re-investigating the strange drowning of the Hollywood star. The body of the actress was found a mile away from the yacht she had been aboard with Wagner and Christopher Walken in California, 1981, reports BBC News.
Wood's death was also presumed to be a tragic accident, though the case was reopened in 2011 when the yacht's captain Dennis Davern told various American television shows that he heard the Hollywood couple arguing on the night of her disappearance. Though Wagner suggested she could have slipped into the water after reaching overboard to tie down a lifeboat, Wood was known to be terrified by water. The actor's solicitor Blair Berk said Wagner had nothing to hide, "Mr Wagner has fully co-operated over the last 30 years in the investigation of the accidental drowning of his wife in 1981. He has been interviewed on multiple occasions by the Los Angeles sheriff's department and answered every single question asked of him by detectives during those interviews," read a statement. Earlier this week, coroner's officials released an updated autopsy report which reclassified the death from accidental drowning to drowning caused by "undetermined factors." Investigators are looking into bruises and marks found on Wood's body.
Lieutenant John Corina of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's office claimed detectives tried to interview Wagner on more than 10 occasions, but had been turned down each time. He said: "Most of the people we've talked to were never talked to 30 years ago. We've got a lot of new information."
An explosive new report into the death of Natalie Wood by the Los Angeles County Coroner's report questions the original 1981 findings that led investigators to conclude Wood died accidentally, reports the Los Angeles Times. Wood - who was known to be terrified of the water - was assumed to have fallen overboard during a boating trip with husband Robert Wagner and the actor Christopher Walken.
A new report concludes that bruising on Wood's wrists and other areas are more consistent with injuries from an assault prior to the point in which she entered the water. The findings stop short of classifying her death as a homicide, though suggest it may not be as simple an explanation as accidental death. Additional sources who spoke with the L.A. Times said the bruises were originally overlooked in the accidental-death finding more than 30 years ago. At the time of her death, husband Robert Wagner told authorities that Wood fell off their 60-foot yacht Spendour possibly while trying to re-tie a dinghy that had been banging against the side of the boat, disturbing her sleep.
Continue reading: Natalie Wood Death: Bruises Suggest Hollywood Actress Was Assaulted
Robert Wagner and Grauman's Chinese Theatre - Robert Wagner, daughter Thursday 12th April 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival opening night premiere of the 40th anniversary restoration of 'Cabaret' at Grauman's Chinese Theatre - Arrivals
Robert Wagner and Grauman's Chinese Theatre - Robert Wagner, Thursday 12th April 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival opening night premiere of the 40th anniversary restoration of 'Cabaret' at Grauman's Chinese Theatre - Arrivals