The British comedian received an avalanche of criticism when he presented the annual ceremony last year after insulting several celebrities in the audience and he thought he would never be asked back for a third year running.
So when he was approached by producers once more, he said yes because he knew it would shock Hollywood.
He said: "The reason I said yes the first time was because I was very flattered. It was a huge global audience for a comedian. I like writing jokes. That's what I do. The reason I did it the second time was I thought I could improve on the first. Which I think I did. I wasn't going to do it again but there were loads of people in the press saying I'd never be invited back and that's why I said yes."
Ricky insists he never meant to offend anyone with his jokes last year and thinks some egos just couldn't handle his sarcastic and acerbic humour.
Speaking to Ellen Degeneres on her talk show, he said: "I knew what I was doing. It's the same as stand-up. I know where the gasps are going to come. I know when the laughs are going to come ... I knew all that. I didn't think the press would ... I mean you usually have to kill someone to get that many columnists. They were still talking about it, so I was shocked at the reaction. Yeah I was.
"I don't think I was nasty. If they saw my stand-up, their heads would explode. People say is there anything you shouldn't joke about? I don't think there is. I just think it depends what the joke is. Comedy comes from either a good or a bad place, and I was just teasing them, ya know. It wasn't a room full of wounded soldiers. These are the richest, most privileged people in the world."
The Golden Globes take place this Sunday (15.01.12)