Ricky Gervais says it was a ''tough decision'' to agree to host the Golden Globe Awards again but accepted the job to ''shut up'' people who said he wouldn't be invited back.
It was confirmed yesterday (16.11.11) that the British funnyman - who sparked controversy for his put-downs and jokes at the expense of some of the film industry's biggest names, including Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp at last year's ceremony - will host the prestigious event for the third time but the comic admits it was a difficult decision to accept the offer.
He explained: "It was a tough decision to be honest. There were many pros and cons. I loved doing it, but I was worried that I couldn't improve on last year. I'm in LA anyway as I'm launching 'Life's Too Short' on HBO. But then I didn't want the Globes to overshadow the series. I knew some people would be uncomfortable with me being host. (This was a pro by the way.)
"What actually tipped the balance and made me say yes, was the fact that it would shut up all those f***ing idiots who said that I'd never be invited back. Is that the wrong reason to do something? Ha ha. I think it is."
Ricky still doesn't understand why his jokes caused so much outrage last year - but has vowed to be deliberately offensive at the next ceremony.
Describing his third stint as the "definitely final time" he will host the awards, he wrote on his blog: "Now here's the thing. The outrage I caused was of course, as usual, totally out of proportion to the things I said.
"I don't think anyone had any right to be offended but they were. This year I'm going to make sure their offence is completely justified. The best thing about it is writing the gags. I love writing one liners. Particularly when they can't be used in any other context. It gives them a special weight on the night if you know what I mean."
The Golden Globes will be held on January 15 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.