Gervais Clears Up Boyle Joke Confusion - Comments and Message Board

If he would kindly quote exactly his "routine" about Susan, then I could make my own decision about whether it was derogatory or not and how the word was used. Until then, I hold him in utter contempt.

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by sugar puddin

sugar puddin's picture

Type in....Susan Boyle vs Bette Midler Spoof....if you want to see a funny, hilarious, video of Susan's audition! Bette makes it clear its all in fun and NOT meant to offend will really make you happy...which is what Susan wants!

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by FaithfulfanDawn

FaithfulfanDawn's picture

I don't know who this man is but I do know who susan boyle is and she is a wonderful person and entertainer- full of wit and charm and very attractive. Comedians-- I wonder if - could survive on jokes that do not try to get laughs by insulting people----I guess a truly good comedian would be able to think or have his writers think of funny laughing out loud humor that is just plain funny without the unkindness part.Now that would be an exceptionally good comedian--guess they might be hard to come by- probably takes a lot of intellect for this - jw

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by dublingausafan

dublingausafan's picture

I don't see any explanation here, perhaps because there isn't one!!He's an ugly, disgusting slob.

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by KathyM

KathyM's picture

This is comedy? There is a wonderful TV interview with Fred O'Neil, Susan Boyle's former voice coach, praising Susan and talking about her quick wit. Susan has no mental instability.

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by Parchie

Parchie's picture

It's quite clear he made a rude joke about Boyle. It commits the additional crime of not being funny. There are some terrific satires of Boyle and her fans out there, but his comment is not among them. And where does he - of all people - come off calling her ugly. Does he have no mirror?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by IHateArsenal

IHateArsenal's picture

Good luck with that, Ricky. Your circular "explanation" was certainly lame, considering you're supposedly able to write. Nice that the association accepted it; I doubt that any family/friend related to someone with Down's will feel that kindly disposed. Obviously, you meant the term in exactly one context regarding Susan Boyle -- a rude, crude, and exceptionally ignorant context. Miss Boyle does not have that syndrome, which limits full development of the intellect. Now that I think about it, that describes YOUR problem, does it not? Except that people with Down's are usually extremely kind and loving -- that leave you out again, doesn't it, Ricky?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by Ssippi

Ssippi's picture

Thanks for the Amazon ads on Gervais so I know in the future what movies and show to avoid.Hopefully the joke will be on him when his career starts taking a dive, god willing.

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by Lazycat

Lazycat's picture

He said he "also" uses the word referring to comedians taking responsibility, etc.. SO...what exactly was the meaning of the word "mong" when he used it in THIS routine about Susan?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by FaithfulfanDawn

FaithfulfanDawn's picture

Quite frankly I never heard of this guy, but he needs to realize that any derogatory comments about Susan Boyle will ignite a firestorm of indignation throughout the world. Susan is a lovely sweet Lady with a glorious voice who has never in her life said anything unkind about another living soul. She suffered the torment of bullies throughout her childhood, and now I'd like to think that is over for her. Susan has attained her much-deserved success through her own courage and talent, and merely by being exactly who she is. I am sure Susan will forgive this man, but she has millions of global fans who will not forget.

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by Lonnirose

Lonnirose's picture

I hope Susan Boyle received an apology.

Posted 5 years 6 months ago by wchish

wchish's picture

Ricky Gervais

Ricky Gervais Quick Links

News Pictures Video Film Footage Press Quotes RSS
                musicians & bands in the news
                  actors & filmmakers in the news
                    celebrities in the news

Go Back in Time using our News archive to see what happened on a particular day in the past.