Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is the name chosen by Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, for their second child. The announcement from Kensington Palace comes two days after the birth of Charlotte on 2nd May.
The Royal Princess has been named Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, Kensington Palace announced on Monday (4th May). Charlotte, who is fourth in line to the throne, will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with Princess Charlotte outside the Lindon Wing on Saturday (2nd May).
Doctor Who-related news abound this week.
While the Doctor Who team are hard at work on the hyped up 50th anniversary special, the royal family decided to spend their break visiting the set. The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall stood face to face with the Doctor’s iconic (and ever so slightly hilarious) foe – the Daleks. Not only that, Prince Charles also took over one Dalek, to speak the infamous, terrifying word: “Exterminate!”
The royals looked a bit less formal on the DW set.
Meanwhile, this week has been almost bursting with Who-related news, with actor John Barrowman, who played captain Jack Harkness on the show making a happy announcement of his own. Last Tuesday, July 2, the actor got married to his longtime partner Scott Gill. The pair tied the knot after 20 years of waiting. The ceremony took place mere days after the American Supreme Court overturned the Defense of Marriage Act, in essence rejecting a federal ban on same-sex marriage. In light of the exciting news, Barrowman even posted a celebratory video, Us Weekly reports.
The royal is a huge fan of the show
Prince Charles took his wife Camilla to the Dr. Who Studios while on their annual summer tour in Wales. And while there, Charles tried his hand at being an evil genius, uttering the famous “Exterminate” phrase through a Dalek microphone.
Prince Charles Uttered The Famous 'Exterminate' Line At The Studios
"I haven't thought about how I could weave a meeting between the Doctor and the royal family. But Prince Charles's attempt at being a Dalek was great,” said the show’s creator, Steve Moffat. "There would be a part in the show for him if he wanted it." While there is no official word on the next Dr. Who – since Matt Smith announced he would be stepping down - Rory Kinnear is the favourite for the role, so much so, that the bookies stopped taking bets on him after a flurry of support for the Skyfall star.
Charles and Camilla are now the proud stars of a Bash Street Kids comic strip.
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall encountered another UK institution when they visited the DC Thompson and Co in Dundee and met up with the Bash Street Kids. The royals were immortalized in The Beano comic strip, each starring in their own adventure with Dennis the Menace, Roger the Dodger and the rest of the gang. Prince Charles popped into the Bash Street cafeteria and, after finding the food inedible, persuaded the kids to grow their own veggies and eat healthier food. Camilla meanwhile, opens the new school library and shows the kids the joys of reading.
The editor of the Beano comic strip, Craig Graham, said for the Guardian newspaper that he had been nervous about portraying the royals, but hoped that they would appreciate the homage none the less: "Often we're a little bit nervous because we do, by the nature of things, have to caricature people.
"But they were both absolutely delighted with their likenesses and hugely impressed to be involved with characters like Dennis the Menace and Roger the Dodger".
Continue reading: The Royal Family Makes 'Dennis The Menace' And Co. Eat Their Veggies
"Hairy situation" dealt with by experienced pilots.
Potentially terrible news, but actually barely news at all, which makes us wonder why we’re reporting: Prince Charles and the Duchess Of Cornwall took for a bit (in a helicopter, they can’t fly) and then had set down slightly later on after there was believed to be a technical fault with the craft. Oh dear God.
Thankfully, there was absolutely no threat to their lives whatsoever and indeed the whole incident was dealt with the sort of professionalism you’d expect from pilots, who are talented enough to be entrusted to fly Prince Charles and Camilla around Britain. According to the Daily Telegraph, the Royal couple took off from central London but about 10 to 15 minutes later made what was described as a “controlled emergency landing” at an airfield in Denham, Buckinghamshire.
A technical fault was found to be the issue with the helicopter – conspiracy theorists start your engines – though it was all dealt with well and none of the eight people in the craft were injured. Good stuff. A source close to Clarence House said: "It was quite a hairy experience." The reason the couple were in the chopper was because they were on their way to attend the opening day of the Hay-on-Wye festival – which is a quite lovely party of Britain. They were with their private secretary and security staff, who presumably love a bit of the area as well. And who can blame them?
Continue reading: Prince Charles And Camilla In Emergency Helicopter Landing
The royal makes quip at the Prince's Trust Awards
Prince Charles is known to drop a zinger or two from time to time…actually, wait, is he? Come to think of it we’re pretty sure his japery is few and far between, so it comes as a mild surprise to report that he had TV duo Ant and Dec in stitches recently after throwing a pearler at them when meeting them at the Prince’s Trust Celebrate Success Awards.
The awards took place in London last night, with the Geordie pair opening up the show, which honours the achievements of disadvantaged youngster, and featured a glut of celebrity names, including Homeland’s Damian Lewis and Dame Helen Mirren. However, it was Ant and Dec who Prince Charles was most impressed with, according to the Daily Mirror. Taking to the stage after their routine, the royal commented "They seem to have discovered the secret of eternal youth. They still look about 15.” Here comes the punchline folks… wait for it… “I suspect it's all that rumbling they do."
Oh my, sorry but you’ll have to pick us up off the floor after that one. Charles was of course referring to the pair’s 1993, um, ‘hit’ single ‘Let’s Get Ready To Rhumble’ which, after the pair performed it on their show Saturday Night Take Away at the weekend, is now shockingly in the mix to top the UK singles charts again come this weekend. Bookies William Hill have the song at 8/13 to come out on top.
HRH Prince Charles appeared throughout a very special episode of Countryfile, as the show celebrated its 25th year on air.
Prince Charles' Countryfile appearance saw the royal opening the door (well, it's more likely to be a gate) to his Gloucestershire farm as he stepped in as guest editor on the BBC show. HRH spoke of his concern of the current state of Britain's once majestic rural landscapes, that is now falling into decay as he warned that we must "work in harmony with nature" to ensure that our successors on this earth do not inherit a dystopian future.
HRH Prince Charles greeting a royal guard during a recent St. David's Day mass
Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who killed herself after being fooled by a hoax call to the hospital treating the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, had attempted suicide twice before, it was reported yesterday. The 46-year-old was also prescribed anti-depressants by doctors, according to The Sun.
A hoax call made by an Australian radio station initially became the talk of the internet, though in a tragic turn of events, Saldanha was found dead at her home three days later. However, it has now emerged that she first attempted suicide by taking an overdose of pills during a family holiday last December, and was rushed to hospital days later after throwing herself off a building. She was treated for depression and admitted to a psychiatric ward at Father Muller Medical College Hospital in Mangalore, India. Her brother Saveen, 42, said, "We didn't know about the first incident, but we knew about the second."
Two DJ's pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles called the hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for severe morning sickness following the announcement that she is expecting her first child. Jacintha put them through to another nurse, who revealed confidential medical details about the Duchess' condition. Prosecutors were last week handed a police file and will decide whether anyone should face charges over the incident.
Continue reading: Jacintha Saldanha Attempted Suicide Twice Before Hoax Call
After enjoying the privileges that come with private healthcare, Kate Middleton has been released from hospital after suffering from severe morning sickness, The Guardian reports. She was admitted to hospital on Monday afternoon after becoming unwell at her parents' Berkshire home.
Smiling and assuring various journalists that she's feeling "much better", her and hubby Prince William left King Edward VII private hospital in London as they head to Kensington Palace so Kate can have a rest. The general feeling from the general public is relief, after the initial elation following the news of a new royal baby. Asked about the prospect of becoming a grandfather, Prince Charles said: "I'm thrilled, marvellous. It's a very nice thought to become a grandfather in my old age." He added: "I'm very glad my daughter-in-law is getting better, thank goodness."
Not everyone has been so forthcoming with messages of warmth for the royal couple in light of their news. Noel Gallagher; another national treasure - albeit for different reasons - showed air of nonchalance when probed on the subject at a press conference. "Well, they haven't become parents yet, have they?" he said when asked for a message of congratulations. "They're not the first people in the country to have a child, are they? I've got three so... you know."
The Hobbit is one of the most anticipated movies of the decade. The success of the Lord of the Rings trilogy has ensured the certain success of The Hobbit- which has also turned into a trilogy. With a recurring cast and Peter Jackson at the helm of the film, all three Hobbit films are bound to be an unmitigated triumph.
Anticipating the interest in the films, advance tickets for the movie are going to be going on sale tomorrow, reports Deadline, even though first public screenings wont be available for at least another month! The Hobbit already has some very high status fans. Elijah Wood is an obvious fan, particularly given that he appears in the film as well as starring in the original LOTR trilogy. "I'm very excited - I'm a fan of the book and I'm a fan of the worlds that they all and we all created, and I'm excited to revisit it." He said to Yahoo, adding "I'm really excited about seeing Martin Freeman revive that character - what I've seen so far is absolutely brilliant, he was so perfectly cast."
Plus, the franchise has found itself a surprise fan in Charles, Prince Of Wales. The Telegraph reports a source saying: "The Prince is a great fan of children's literature and Tolkien is one of the great icons of children's literature," said a royal source. "He and the Duchess have seen Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films and the Prince has said he is very much looking forward to seeing Bilbo Baggins's foot." Plus, his aides added that the Prince will be celebrating his 64th birthday by meeting Peter Jackson.
Continue reading: The Hobbit, Advance Tickets Go On Sale Across North America Tomorrow!
Gary Barlow was praised for 'inspiring goodwill' by the Prince of Wales as the royal presented him with the prestigious Music Industry Award for his recognised efforts in the industry.
Prince Charles showed his admiration for the Take That singer's achievements at the award ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, even labelling him a 'national treasure'. 'Over the past 25 years, you have become one of the great stars of the British music industry and you are the very embodiment of that rare species, a national treasure', he told the popstar. 'It seems to me you inspire goodwill wherever you go and your appeal transcends the ages, a very rare feat if I may say so.'
The 'X Factor' judge duly accepted the award making clear how honoured he felt to be presented with it and how much performing music means to him. 'I've been doing this for 22 years now, and the one thing that's more apparent to me than ever before is how much I love performing', he said. 'To be able to do it, I feel really lucky, I never want to turn my back on it. It's so special when you get something like this, because it's recognised within the industry. I'm a lover of this industry, I'd do anything to protect it, and when you're given something from that industry, I'm honoured.'
All manner of esteemed guests turned up to the Skyfall premier last night (23rd Oct 2012) in London. Prince Charles and Camilla were there, to give the royal seal of approval, as well as the glittering cast of the production, including; Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Dame Judi Dench, Naiome Harrice, Berenice Marloh and Ralph Fiennes.
Hundreds of fans also showed up to glimpse the stars, if not get a signature, photo or even a quick kiss, of the cast of what has been referred to as 'the best Bond film ever'. Speaking to Sky News, Craig remained humble. "You just try and make the best movie you can," he said, "and we've had some good response. Now it's up to the audience to make their decisions about it." Indeed, the whole cast have been quick to praise one another, Judi Dench said she was spoilt to be working with the likes of Craig and Bardem, and described Mendes as "a terrific film director... thrilling to work with". Bardem was also full of praise for director. "Sam Mendes has done something very challenging," the BBC reports, "which is to mix the flavour of the classic Bond movies with something more modern."
Mendes is still in somewhat of a state of shock, as he told SkyNews: "The weirdest thing is that about two weeks ago I was still finishing the movie with about three other people in a dark room - so the big shock is coming out and finding people about to see the movie." Now that the premiere is finally out of the way, we simply can't wait to camp out at the cinema to watch it. The expectations are now sky high, but judging by the talent involved, not ungrounded.
James Bond might've been palling up to The Queen during the Olympic Closing Ceremony as they parachuted from a plane to the stadium below (they didn't of course) but it doesn't look their relationship has lasted long, after it was revealed that the new Bond film Skyfall had lost out to director Peter Jackson's new film The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in the battle to be show at this year's 65th Royal Film Performance. Unexpected indeed.
The Metro reports that the event takes place on December 12th, with the first of the Hobbit trilogy being given the run over by the royal family. It's unknown which members of the family will be in attendance for the film; last year Prince Charles attended the premiere of Martin Scorsese's film Hugo, whilst The Queen watched The Chronicles Of Narnia in 2010. It's a good do is the Royal Performance, and more importantly raises money for the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund, which provides care and financial support to industry employees and their families who suffer from hardship due to bereavement, illness, redundancy or other misfortunes.
A spokesperson for the CTBF commented "We are thrilled to be able to host the UK premiere of this highly anticipated first instalment of The Hobbit trilogy." As well they might, the anticipation for it's been sky high.
HRH Prince Charles and Prince Charles Friday 29th January 2010 HRH Prince Charles and Camilla Duchess of Cornwall today visited the town of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire to lay wreaths at the town war memorial and to meet the people who have taken to honouring the troops repatriated from Afghanistan. The town took the opportunity to unveil a new flagpole donated by an ex-paratrooper. They also visited the Crosskeys pub which has looked after friends and families of the fallen servicemen. Wiltshire, England
Prince Charles - A slice of wedding cake from the wedding of H.R.H. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer on July 29, 1981, unopened and sealed in its original box, 2 1/2 by 3 1/4 inches The 'Julien's Summer Entertainment Sale' consists of more than 400 lots of rare one of a kind memorabilia from Hollywood's Golden and contemporary eras. The live auction of Hollywood memorabilia will be televised by Auction Network where bidders from around the world can view the auction live and participate against other bidders in the room, by phone and online. Las Vegas, Nevada - Estimate: $800 1,200 Friday 30th May 2008
Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, wearing a Jewish yarmulka and opens the Krakow Jewish Community Centre Tuesday 29th April 2008 Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, wearing a Jewish yarmulka, opens the Krakow Jewish Community Centre Krakow, Poland
Date of birth
14th November, 1948