Rough Trade Shops and Field Day have much in common when it comes to supporting and promoting new and exciting music and this year they are combining the many years of experience to release their first collaborative CD.
Tom Baker put on the 'Return Of The Rural' event outside The Griffin pub in East London in 2005 - a village fete with James Yorkston, Beth Orton, Clinic and Four Tet playing live - and, inspired by its success, went on to put together the first Field Day in Victoria Park in 2007 with the then-owner of The Griffin, Marcus Weedon. Alongside sister promotors Eat Your Own Ears, the annual Field Day event has since become a staple on the London music scene, known for its innovative and forward thinking line-ups.
As you would expect from a selection curated by Field Day's co-founder Tom Baker, this compilation includes a wide spectrum of music. From new artists Dark Bells and MT WARNING, through buzz bands CHVRCHES and King Krule to breakthrough artists Everything Everything, Palma Violets and Savages. From dancefloor favourites Daphni, Four Tet, Seth Troxler and TNGHT through established and well-loved acts like Animal Collective, Django Django and Kurt Vile, longstanding Field Day-associates James Yorkston, Mount Kimbie and Tim Burgess to this year's must-see festival acts Bat For Lashes, Ginger Baker, Mulatu Astatke and Solange, Field Day's booking policy shines brightly on the festival circuit.
"It's really exciting to be able to program two albums-worth of music. The easy part was already done in respect of the bands, as we have tried to include as many of the artists playing across the stages at this year's Field Day as was possible. I tried all different track sequences, but in the end it made sense to use the same format we have used for Field Day artwork over the past seven years and make it alphabetical. it actually flows very well! I hope you enjoy the eclectic mix of music, perhaps discover some new sounds and hear some of your favourite songs as well." Tom Baker. Field Day / Eat Your Own Ears.
Various - Rough Trade Shops Field Day 13 2CD
1. Amateur Best - Too Much (4.06)
2. Animal Collective - Fireworks (6.52)
3. Bat for Lashes - Laura (4.26)
4. Charlie Boyer & The Voyeurs - I Watch You (single version) 4.53)
5. CHVRCHES - Recover (3.45)
6. Connan Mockasin - Megumi The Milkyway Above (2.28)
7. Daphni - Ye Ye (6.05)
8. Dark Bells - Wildflower (4.02)
9. Daughter - Smother (4.02)
10. Django Django - Waveforms (Mickey Moonlight Remix) (4.38)
11. Do Make Say Think - The Apartment Song (3.52)
12. Everything Everything - Choice Mountain (3.24)
13. Fela Ransome-Kuti and Africa 70 with Ginger Baker - Ginger Baker & Tony Allen drum solo (Live at the 1978 Berlin Jazz Festival) (16.22)
14. Four Tet - Jupiters (5.48)
15. Francois and The Atlas Mountains - Les Plus Beaux (4.23)
1. How To Dress Well - When I Was In Trouble (3.22)
2. Jacques Greene - Clark (4.58)
3. James Yorkston - Tender To The Blues (4.19)
4. King Krule - Bleak Bake (2.30)
5. Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Day (9.30)
6. Mount Kimbie - Carbonated (4.18)
7. MT WARNING - Forward Miles (3.44)
8. Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu's Mood (5.56)
9. Palma Violets - Step Up for the Cool Cats (3.08)
10. Savages - Husbands (album version) (2.50)
11. Seth Troxler - Hurt (with Matthew Dear) (6.06)
12. Solange - Lovers In The Parking Lot (4.22)
13. Splashh - Need It (3.03)
14. Stubborn Heart - Penetrate (3.59)
15. Tim Burgess - The Economy (4.44)
16. TNGHT - Bugg'n (3.25)
17. Wild Nothing - Nocturne (5.18)
The 1969 session, including the only known recording of 'Sunshine Woman' by the band, will be included on a re-issue of 'The Complete BBC Sessions'...
The 55 year old actor joined Chris Martin and co. on stage in New Jersey to perform 'Earth Angel' and 'Johnny B. Goode'.
Bjork Digital comes to London's Somerset House in September, along with a single live show at the Royal Albert Hall.
Kim Kardashian released an audio excerpt from a phone call between Kanye and Taylor Swift over the lyrics of 'Famous' - but if it was recorded...
There's very much a strength of conviction in remaining what you were, but arguably more so in becoming what you want to be.
The BBC drama starring Aidan Turner returns to BBC One on September 4th.
Guns N' Roses were detained at the Canadian border last week for gun possession but they're adamant the weapon didn't belong to them.