In the 15 years since its release, American Football's self-titled debut full-length has quietly become one of the most fiercely beloved titles in the US indie Polyvinyl catalogue. Though the trio -- Mike Kinsella (Cap'n Jazz, Owen, Owls), Steve Lamos, and Steve Holmes -- only played a few shows and released just one other record (a three-song EP that preceded this full-length), their influence and legacy has steadily continued to grow in the time after they disbanded.
From its now iconic artwork to the band's unique songwriting approach (highlighted by an emphasis on shifting time signatures and sincere lyrics), American Football proves a record doesn't become a true classic through flashiness or catering to trends, but rather the deep emotional connection it forges between the music and the listener.
After guitarist Steve Holmes discovered a set of cassette tapes containing a variety of unreleased recordings, the band curated an album's worth of these rare live recordings, demos, and practice sessions (in which the group rehearsed material they never recorded elsewhere) to complement the original record.
Now available as a limited edition 2xLP of 2,000 copies on 180-Gram Green/Yellow Vinyl exclusive to the Polyvinyl webstore, unlimited 180-Gram red vinyl, 2xCD and on cassette, American Football is being re-issued with beautifully expanded packaging that incorporates new photographs from Chris Strong along with lyrics, detailed liner notes written by the band, and never-before-seen band pictures.
1. Never Meant
2. The Summer Ends
4. For Sure
5. You Know I Should Be Leaving Soon
6. But the Regrets Are Killing Me
7. I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional
9. The One With The Wurlitzer
10. Intro [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
11. Five Silent Miles [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
12. Untitled #1 (The One With the Trumpet) [Boombox Practice Session, 1998]
13. Untitled #2 [Boombox Practice Session, 1998]
14. Stay Home [Boombox Practice Session, 1998]
15. Untitled #3 [Boombox Practice Session, 1999]
16. Never Meant [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
17. But the Regrets Are Killing Me [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
18. I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
19. The 7's [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
Check out all of this year's winners.
Tom brought Taylor home to meet the parents, just weeks into their whirlwind romance.
He's just asking to be sued! Literally...
The Coldplay frontman also thinks she’s the Frank Sinatra of our generation.
The rapper failed to skip an offending line in 'P.I.M.P.'.
Darth Vader is back and James Earl Jones will once again provide the villain’s voice.