Seymour-Hoffman's final scenes in the film won't be digitally created
Francis Lawrence, the director of the upcoming Hunger Games instalment, Mockingjay Part 1, has addressed some of the confusion surrounding Philip Seymour Hoffman’s scenes in the film. The actor passed away in February leaving behind a glittering back catalogue, an indelible legacy and – unfortunately – unfinished work.
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Juliane Moore
“We finished the majority of his work,” said Lawrence according to The Hunger Games Exclusive, where a conversation with Lawrence, producer Nina Jacobson and screenwriter Peter Craig was posted. “I think he might have had eight to 10 days left on our schedule. In most of those scenes, Phil didn’t have any dialogue. We are going to put him into those scenes, but we’re only using real footage. We’re not creating anything digital or a robotic version of him.”
Jacobson also noted that some lines me be reallocated to different characters, like Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) or Effie (Elizabeth Banks), “but only in circumstances that we are able to do that without undermining the intent of the scene,” she said.
Earlier this year, Lionsgate were reported to have said that Hoffman would be recreated for scenes using CGI effects. At the time of his death, The Hollywood Reporter learned that he had not yet filmed one major scene, though it’s unclear how that scene will be produced. But now we now that he won’t be digitally recreated.
Lionsgate recently released a first look photo of Seymour-Hoffman and Julianne Moore as Plutarch Heavensbee and President Coin which you can view right here. The eagerly-awaited film – which is based on the books by Suzanne Collins - also stars Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Toby Jones, Sam Claflin and Donald Sutherland and will be released in UK cinemas on November 21 2014.