Paul Newman was the most generous US celebrity of 2008, donating $21 million to good causes, according to The Giving Back Fund.
Paul Newman was the most generous celebrity of 2008.
The late 'Cool Hand Luke' actor - who passed away last September - donated more money to charity than any other US star, giving a huge $21 million to various initiatives and campaigns, according to a list compiled by The Giving Back Fund for Parade magazine.
Angelina and Brad spent an estimated $13.4 million on good causes including a health clinic in Ethiopia and the redevelopment of New Orleans last year.
The couple also donated $1 million to help children caught up in the Iraq conflict, through education programmes via their Jolie-Pitt foundation.
Upon donating the money, United Nations ambassador Angelina said: "These educational support programmes for children of conflict are the best way to help them heal."
Brad added: "We hope to encourage others to give to these great organisations."
Meanwhile, Mel invested $6.5 million to causes including a Holy Family Church in California and Oprah created scholarships for kids in the hometown of her longtime partner, Stedman Graham.
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey and singing legend Barbra Streisand were also among the most charitable famous faces.
The Giving Back Fund calculated their list of most generous celebrities using public records to see who had donated what during 2008.
Top Ten most generous celebrities of 2008, according to The Giving Back Fund:
1) Paul Newman - donated an estimated $21 million
2) Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt - donated an estimated $13.4 million
3) Mel Gibson- donated an estimated $6.5 million
4) Richard Childress (former NASCAR racer) - donated an estimated $5 million
5) Oscar De La Hoya - donated an estimated $3.5 million
6) Oprah Winfrey- donated an estimated $2.4 million
7) Sam Waterston - donated an estimated $2.1 million
8) Yao Ming (basketball player) - donated an estimated $2 million
9) Patricia Cornwell (author) - donated an estimated $2 million
10) Barbra Streisand- donated an estimated $1.7 million