PLANET OF THE APES
PLANET OF THE APES - 35 THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT PLANET OF THE APES
• Actress Kim Hunter (Zira) spent so long in ape make-up that Charlton Heston did not recognise her when, after several months of filming, he saw her out of make-up for the first time
• McDowall and Hunter researched their roles by observing the chimpanzees at Los Angeles Zoo
• The film had the largest make-up budget in Hollywood history, exceeding $1 million – more than one sixth of the entire budget
• Two scenes were almost cut prior to release: Heston's nude scene, and a shot of three apes in the courtroom arranging their hands in a parody of the ‘three wise monkeys' image (hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil)
• A scene which revealed that Nova was pregnant with Taylor 's child was allegedly cut because one of the studio executives found the idea of sexual relations between a civilised and a primitive human distasteful
• Released on 8 February 1968 , Planet of the Apes grossed $26 million at the box office – more than four times its production budget of $5.8 million, making it one of the biggest hits of the year
• Breaking box office records in New York , Los Angeles and London , Planet of the Apes was 20th Century Fox's highest-grossing and most profitable film of 1968
• The film was widely acclaimed by critics, with Variety setting the tone on 1 February 1968 with a long review which began with the words ‘ Planet of the Apes is an amazing film”
• As with the same year's other science fiction masterpiece, Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey , even the critics who derided the film on first viewing subsequently admitted they had mis-read, underestimated or made errors of judgment in their initial reviews
• Planet of the Apes received two Academy Award nominations, for costume design and original music; although it won neither, the film won a special Oscar for John Chambers' make-up
• Four theatrically-released sequels were made between 1970 and 1974: Beneath the Planet of the Apes (once again starring Charlton Heston), Escape from the Planet of the Apes , Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes
• In 1974, a television series based on the series amassed fourteen one-hour episodes, several of which were subsequently turned into TV movies
• In 1975, an animated television series, Return to the Planet of the Apes , ran to thirteen half-hour episodes before being cancelled
• In 2001, Mark Wahlberg, Tim Roth and Estella Warren were among the stars of a big-budget “re-imagining” of Planet of the Apes , directed by Tim Burton
• The original Planet of the Apes continues to be referenced in shows ranging from The Simpsons to Buffy the Vampire Slayer , and in films from Mrs Doubtfire to Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
• An episode of the comedy show Saturday Night Live featured Charlton Heston falling asleep in his dressing room and awaking to find the show being run by apes
• Planet of the Apes is also the subject of the most popular joke in Internet history, as veteran astronaut John Glenn's return to space in 1998, provoking the suggestion that everyone should dress in ape costumes when he returned to Earth
• A line from Planet of the Apes – “Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape” – was recently voted the most memorable movie dialogue line of all time
Steven Tyler prays for Chris Cornell during Asia show.
'Pirates of the Caribbean' is an exciting new career development for Brenton Thwaites.
The actor didn't want to be "wolfy".
Tragedy strikes in Manchester