NHL 2005 - Xbox Review
Graphically NHL 2k5 is stunning looking and features an all new and improved skating engine. The tackles, body checks, dukes, passes and shots are well animated and fit naturally into the speedy flow of the game and the crunch of a well timed body check can leave you wincing. As with all of the EA Sports games the crowd and atmosphere of a big match occasion is captured nicely and the commentary doesn't make you want to throw your machine out of the window after a few hours of play.
Overall if you have never encountered Ice Hockey on your Xbox then now is the time to get involved. In the UK ice hockey plays second fiddle to many other sports, but in the US and Canada it is major entertainment. If you are already a NHL freak then you will not be disappointed by the enhancements to this classic formula. Get crunching!
• Open Ice Control: Seamlessly switch between players with or without the puck with the push of a button.
• Total Player Awareness: Make saucer passes just before the blueline, call in a second defender on a 2-on-1, or fire off wrist shots at the perfect angle.
• Face-Off Playbook: New playcalling system allows you to choose offensive and defensive face-off strategies every time the whistle blows.
• The World Cup of Hockey: Take part in this year's World Cup of Hockey featuring teams from USA , Canada , Sweden , Finland , Russia , and more .
• All-New Skating Engine: Use explosive speed to get to the open ice with more puck and turning control.
• EA SPORTS Free4All™: One net, one goalie, and every man for himself.