Williams Jr Assault Case Dismissed
A $250,000 (GBP128,200) assault case against country singer HANK WILLIAMS JR has been dismissed due to a lack of evidence.
The 57-year-old star - who filed for divorce from his fourth wife of 16 years, MARY JANE, earlier this month (FEB07) - was accused of verbally abusing and choking waitress HOLLY HORNBEAK at a hotel in Memphis, Tennessee, last March (06).
Hornbeak told the jury how Williams Jr allegedly grabbed her around the throat and shouted obscenities at her, leaving red marks and bruises on her neck. She was 19 at the time of the incident.
The singer had been staying in the city while his daughters HOLLY and HILARY recovered from injuries sustained from a car crash near Dundee, Mississippi on 15 March (06).
District Attorney General BILL GIBBONS says, "We didn't feel we had a case we could prove," and dismissed the case on Friday (23FEB07).
He refused to say whether Hornbeak wanted to drop the case or if the two parties had reached a financial agreement.