Tot Gets Drunk At Frankie & Benny’s After Whisky Blunderby Holly Williams | 11 October 2012
Frankie & Benny’s restaurant and bar have been slammed by the mother of a child who was accidentally served whiskey during his birthday meal.
The restaurant, famous for its ‘50s-esque Italian-American style, made a huge blunder when serving staff mixed up an order for a double whisky with 2-year-old Sonny Rees lime cordial. It took his mother, Nina, a while before she realised that her son was wincing and pulling faces as he sipped the 40% spirit that was mixed with water. ‘The drinks arrived and I was encouraging him to take sips because he was eating salty things’, she explained to BBC News. ‘We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking. I took it from him and took a sip myself. It was whisky, I would say a double.’ She then went on to say that she noticed that Sonny had become intoxicated and frantically dialled NHS Direct before rushing him to A&E while he promptly fell asleep.
Staff at the restaurant were apparently less than sympathetic about the situation but the company has since released a statement of apology. ‘The company is incredibly sorry for what happened’, said a spokesperson. ‘It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again.’ A member of Sonny’s family was even on hand to photograph him slurping on his first alcoholic drink. Now that’s a drunk Instagram picture no-one will forget. Except Sonny, of course.