THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL and MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS have been declared the boys and girls of summer after topping a new online poll to find the sunniest hits of all time.
The Lovin' Spoonful's 1966 hit Summer In The City beat the Beach Boys' seasonal anthem California Girls to the top spot in EW.com's The Greatest Summer Songs Ever list, but Martha & The Vandellas claimed two hits in the top 10 - Heat Wave and Dancing In The Street, which was later recorded by David Bowie and Mick Jagger.
And it seems summers really sizzled in the 1960s - all but two of the top 10 hits were recorded between 1963 and 1969.
Here's the top 10:
1. Summer In The City - The Lovin' Spoonful
2. California Girls - Beach Boys
3. School's Out - Alice Cooper
4. Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas
5. Under The Boardwalk - The Drifters
6. Light My Fire - The Doors
7. Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas
8. Borderline - Madonna
9. Hot Fun In The Summertime - Sly & The Family Stone
10. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
The guitarist came up with the band name in 1982.
Kesha’s performance at this weekend’s Billboard Music Awards are back on, following...
Controversial rapper 50 Cent has made headlines for a positive reason, fronting an advertising...
Benedict Cumberbatch, Jude Law and Keira Knightley are among nearly 300 celebrities...
Adele has been named as Songwriter of the Year at the 2016 Ivor Novello Awards...
There's a lot to get through, and that's certainly not the end.