The Bachelor Sued For Racial Discrimination By Two Nashville Men
Further details have emerged in the court case accusing the makers of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette of racial discrimination. A group of Nashville residents are acting as plaintiffs in the case and are being represented by three law firms. The group is led by two African Americans who auditioned for the show last summer and claimed that they were rejected on the grounds of race, Reuters reported yesterday (April 18, 2012).
Nathaniel Claybrooks, 39 and Christopher Johnson, 26, filed the suit at the US District Court in Nashville yesterday. Byron Perkins, representing the couple, told the court that, during the application process for the show, "they were tossed aside because of their race." The suit also states that the Abc network, who produce the show, have never put a person of an ethnic minority in the central role of The Bachelor, or The Bachelorette, in 10 years of being on air. The court heard "I heard about a casting call," said Claybrooks. "I said to myself 'I'm single ... (I can try) to look for someone I could be compatible to in life ... lookin' for love.'"
He then went on to explain that when he arrived at the auditions, the interviewers spent 45 to 60 minutes with "the white men in front of me" while they gave him only 15 to 20 minutes of their time. "They rushed me through" said Nathaniel. "I was very upset about the situation and wanted an equal opportunity like anyone else." Christopher Johnson went on to explain that his own attempt to audition for the show lasted just 30 seconds. So far, Abc have declined to comment on the matter.