Smith Drug Overdose 'Unlikely'
LATEST: Reality TV star ANNA NICOLE SMITH's son DANIEL had only "therapeutic levels" of the antidepressant Lexapro in his system when he died, according to initial toxicology reports. Daniel was found dead in his mother's hospital room on 10 September (06) after flying to the Bahamas three days after the birth of his step-sister. According to Dr CYRIL WECHT, the pathologist hired by Anna Nicole to perform a second autopsy, the dosage is "nowhere near a toxic range". Wecht tells American publication People that he has not yet completely ruled out an accidental fatal overdose of drugs because more tests have to be done. The initial findings are from the first toxicology tests performed by the coroner in the Bahamas, not from Wecht's own tests. Those results are expected next week (begs25SEP06). Additional toxicology tests are being conducted to check for the sleeping pill Ambien. Wecht says Daniel's Los Angeles-based doctor had given him a sample, but it's not clear if he actually took the drug. Wecht says, "There's no reason to believe there's going to be a significant level of Ambien in him. It is not a powerful drug. "You'd have to take a lot of it. It's not the best drug if you want to drive, but putting you to sleep is one thing - killing you is another." Wecht says of the tests that have already been conducted, "Everything was ruled out in the major category of drugs. "They tested for tranquillizers, barbiturates, opiates. It would cover almost all the anti-depression, anti-anxiety drugs."