Sam Mendes - Skyfall Producers Still Confident Of Sam Mendes Bond Return
Producers hope they can convince the director to go back on his word
Sam Mendes made it pretty clear that he was done with the James Bond franchise for the foreseeable future, in wake of Skyfall’s success, but the producers of the biggest critical and commercial smash the series has ever had are confident that they’ll get the director back working with them again.
Mendes, alongside his main star Daniel Craig, combined to hugely successful effect for Skyfall last year, and the producers of the film were no doubt expecting a fruitful relationship to continue. However Mendes schedule dictated otherwise and the likes of Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson are back to square one as they seek to take the franchise on an enforced new direction. However, at the Empire Awards on Sunday (March 24, 2013) they told Getty Images Entertainment that they do expect Mendes to return to the fold at some point.
"We will get him back. We haven't given up hope. Maybe not for the next [movie], but we will get him back again” Broccoli said coming out of the event in London, with Wilson adding “We are working on him. [With all these awards] we hope that maybe he will have gotten inspired to come back.'' Mendes himself meanwhile had a pretty unhappy Empire Awards, despite taking home three awards, with Dame Helen Mirren standing up to accept her Legend award and attacking the director for listing exclusively male influences only upon taking to the stage.
Sam Mendes has said he won't be returning to direct next Skyfall