Sir Paul McCartney: 'Suspect' Jimmy Savile Never Let Us Inside His Home23 November 2012
Sir Paul McCartney: 'Suspect' Jimmy Savile Never Let Us Inside His Home
Sir Paul McCartney has broken his silence on the Jimmy Savile sex scandal, claiming that the DJ refused to let The Beatles inside his home, despite the Fab Four giving him a lift home on numerous occasions. McCartney told The Independent newspaper that he always considered Savile "a bit suspect."
While touring around the UK, The Beatles spent time with the disgraced DJ and charity worker and often chauffeured him around. "When he'd gone we thought why doesn't he let us in, what is it, because most people would have let us in that we gave a lift to", McCartney explained, adding, "So we always thought there was something a little bit suspect." Sir Paul is probably the most high profile musician to speak out about time spent with Savile, though he described the era and sixties scene as not as politically correct as today. "We knew with under 16s it was illegal, so we didn't do it," he said, "There was a definite no-no involved in underage kids." Good to hear Paul! The comments were echoed by veteran television presenter Sir Bruce Forsythe, who told The Sun he had "never liked" Savile, adding, ""There was something about him that was difficult to like. It wasn't because he was so brash about everything - it wasn't that. He had this manner that you thought, 'What is behind this man?' Now we know what was behind it all - which is terrible to find out."
Scotland Yard has launched a full investigation into the sexual abuse by Savile and others after an ITV documentary was broadcast on October 3, 2012. So far, detectives have identified about 300 potential victims.