O.J. Simpson has been given a big boost as he fights for a retrial after his former lawyer's co-counsel revealed in court that they lacked the funds to launch a comprehensive defence case against the kidnapping and armed robbery conviction he is currently serving time for.
The former sportsman-turned-actor is challenging the nine to 33 year sentence he received following his 2008 conviction for masterminding a heist on two sports memorabilia dealers' hotel room in Las Vegas in 2007.
He previously lost an appeal against his conviction, but filed new legal papers last year (12) requesting a retrial over allegations his former lawyer, Yale Galanter, was incompetent.
The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult star appeared in Nevada's Clark County District Court on Monday (13May13) for the start of a five-day hearing to argue his case, and on Tuesday (14May13), the court heard surprising testimony from Galanter's former pal and colleague, Gabriel Grasso.
The witness claimed that Galanter had often complained about the financial shortfall, which reportedly prevented him from hiring experts to analyze a key audio recording from the night of the big heist - evidence which Grasso himself confessed to reviewing while attending his son's soccer game.
During the testimony, Grasso also alleged that Galanter had mentioned plans to discuss a possible plea deal with Simpson - but the chat never took place and their infamous defendant had no idea prosecutors had made him any kind of offer.
Simpson, who appeared to be hiding a heavier frame under his blue jumpsuit, is expected to take the witness stand on Friday (17May13).
Under the terms of his current sentence, the 65 year old won't qualify for parole until 2018.
The case continues.
Mike and Dave are two brothers who can't help but compete with one another.
Ryan Reynolds says that his Deadpool make-up terrified his baby daughter...
Michael Douglas has spoken about his marriage and his health as he stepped...
Gwyneth Paltrow has told a Los Angeles court that she feared for her...