Madonna's Winning Kiss
Madonna and Britney Spears' smooch at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards has been voted Top Kiss of the last decade in a new poll.
Madonna and Britney Spears' kiss at the MTV Video Music Awards has been voted Top Kiss in a new poll.
The on stage smooch during a performance of Madonna's track 'Like A Virgin' in 2003 was voted the most famous smooch of the last decade, according to the poll conducted by UK department store Selfridges.
The performance - which also saw Madonna kiss Christina Aguilera - made headlines across the world and is one of the most shocking moments in the history of the music channel's annual awards.
A source said: "Madonna performing with both Britney and Christina was a big enough event in itself, but nobody - even the MTV people - expected what happened. It is one of the most memorable moments ever."
Same sex kisses scored highly in the with Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal's famous gay kiss in 2005 film 'Brokeback Mountain' being voted third.
'Bruno' actor Sasha Baron Cohen and Will Ferrell's re-enactment of Madonna and Britney's kiss at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) also made the top ten.
Female on female kisses also proved memorable with the Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson's first public kiss outside New York's Mercer hotel making the top ten list, as well as Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz locking lips in film 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'.
Other popular smooches were on screen embraces by rumoured real life couples such as Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart's steamy scene in 'Twilight' and Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt in 2005's 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' - which did blossom into a real romance.
Selfridges conducted the poll ahead of its Valentine's Day kissing booth opening at its London store on February 12.
Top ten most famous kissing moments of the last decade:
1. Britney Spears and Madonna, MTV Music Video awards 2003
2. Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, 'Spider-Man' 2002
3. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, 'Brokeback Mountain' 2005
4. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, 'Twilight' 2008
5. Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz, 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' 2008
6. Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson, Mercer Hotel NYC 2008
7. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith', 2005
8. Freida Pinto and Dev Patel, 'Slumdog Millionaire' 2009
9. Sasha Baron Cohen and Will Ferrell, MTV Movie Awards 2007
10. Jennifer Aniston and Winona Ryder, 'Friends' 2001