Lindsay Lohan - Lindsay Lohan Rejects Plea Deal23 March 2011
Lindsay Lohan has reportedly rejected a plea deal and her felony grand theft case will now go to trial.
Lindsay Lohan Rejects Plea Deal
Lindsay Lohan has rejected a plea deal in her felony grand theft case.
The 'Mean Girls' actress must now face trial after turning down the chance to plead guilty or no-contest in exchange for a reduced sentence in the case, which has seen the 24-year-old star charged over the alleged theft of a $2,500 necklace from an upmarket Californian boutique, sources told gossip website TMZ.
Lindsay - who is currently on probation stemming from a 2007 driving under The Influence conviction - will next appear in court for a preliminary hearing on April 22, with Judge Stephanie Sautner, who is described as "tough but fair", presiding over proceedings.
Earlier this week, Lindsay's mother Dina Lohan said her daughter - who has always maintained she was loaned the necklace in exchange for publicity - was seriously considering pleading no-contest and accepting The Deal as she wanted to "get it over with".
Explaining why the actress was considering pleading no-contest, Dina said: "Obviously she's not pleading guilty.
"My children don't steal things. But the system is so strange out in Los Angeles. We're considering a couple of options and just want to get this over with in the shortest amount of time.
"Lindsay is up for a couple of film roles, and we want this behind us the quickest way possible. We're speaking with the attorneys and we'll make that decision after we talk."