Jury Rules Daniel Smith Died From Overdose
LATEST: ANNA NICOLE SMITH's son DANIEL died from an accidental drug overdose, a jury looking into his death has ruled. Daniel died in the Bahamas in September 2006, just three days after his mother Anna Nicole Smith gave birth to her daughter Dannielynn. The inquest aimed to establish the 20-year-old's exact cause of death, and, in the five months since its November (07) start, has heard testimony from Anna Nicole's former lovers Larry Birkhead and Howard K. Stern, as well as a number of Daniel's friends. Autopsy results released in December (07) found Smith died as a result of a lethal combination of methadone and anti-depressants Zoloft and Lexapro. Earlier this month (Mar08), the magistrate instructed the jury to discuss four possible options as the cause of death - accident, misadventure, non-dependent drug use and an open verdict - after banning the option of homicide. The seven-member jury at a Nassau, Bahamas deliberated for less than two hours before delivering its verdict on Monday (31Mar08). The jury has recommended no criminal charges be filed.