Jackson: 'I Whipped Michael' - Comments and Message Board

poppies33's picture

poppies33

It don't matter if your Black or White, if we did something wrong or were too noisy,we got the belt or wooden spoon.
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489358

TBT's picture

TBT

I remember those men who used a belt too liberally when I grew up! There was always some Aunt or Uncle taking said parent out back and physically reminding them what was discipline and what was abuse (usually using their fists.) Heck, I eventually took a broom to my dad after too much nonsense. I may have gone to youth court, but I didn't turn out like my well beat friends: in gangs and cults!
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489424

l7linda2's picture

l7linda2

What black child didn't get whippings back in the fifty's and sixties,wheather they were talking back,or just plain, hardheaded then, we got a whipping.I use to think getting a whipping was the worst thing, but looking back on it today , getting those whippings back then has taught me to be a better person ,to respect my elders , white or black. it has made me the respectable woman i am today. had my mom let me speak my mind to her back then ,i probably wouldn't be here this very day .
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489288

sweetcancer's picture

sweetcancer

All race use to get the whip back then...I remember in the mid 70's when i was in 1st gr at a catholic school someone lied to the teacher and the principle (who was a nun)came into class and had everyone line up and she would whoop our butts with this long glass paddle (2 or 3x's)until someone told the truth...God I hated that paddle lol...but it did make us respect others not like some of the out of control kids today!!!
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489289

jacqueline.capucine's picture

jacqueline.capucine

Whipping WAS WRONG BACK THEN, WHIPPING IS WRONG NOW AND WHIPPING WILL REMAIN WRONG ALWAYS!!!!!!!!THAT IS "NOT" WHAT WILL KEEP KIDS OUT OF JAIL. PERIOD~~~JOE JACKSON WAS BRUTAL~~~~HOW CAN A MOTHER NOT DO SOMETHING--TO PROTECT HER CHIDREN--AND ALLOW HER CHIDREN TO BE BEATEN--SHE SHOULD HAVE STOOD UP FOR HER CHILDREN--NO EXCUSES--FOR MR.JOE JACKSON OR HIS WIFE--I KNOW MANY PEOPLE FROM THAT ERA WHO DID NOT USE VIOLENCE SUCH AS WHIPPING OR FORCES OF PHYSICAL ABUSE.................
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489289

77lotusflower's picture

77lotusflower

Yes, I think it was accepted practice back then
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489289

starlight250's picture

starlight250

Like it or not the strap was around in the 50's and 60's. I'm not saying it was right, but most of the time, knowing it was there was all it would take to keep you out of trouble. Obviously Mr. Jackson was pretty heavy handed with it, and I think that is the difference. You don't need to actually get beat to keep from being a bad person.
Import Source:
comments.nsf
Import Date:
1322489290

Sharon Walton's picture

Sharon Walton

I felt for Michael Jackson, but he is in a better place than we all can imagine. I feel that Michael Jackson was tramatized by the upbringing of his childhood. It does not always means that it will keep children from going to jail nor getting into drugs.
Import Source: