Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Top Greatest Albums List
Iron Maiden's 1982 album 'The Number of the Beast' has been named the best British album of the past 60 years in a new poll carried out by HMV.
Iron Maiden's 'The Number of the Beast' has been named the best British album of the past 60 years.
The heavy metal group were ''astonished'' to have placed so highly in the poll with their 1982 LP, beating Depeche Mode's 'Violator' and The Beatles' 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', which were placed second and third respectively.
Speaking about the survey - which was carried out by HMV to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth - Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson said:''We're astonished and delighted to hear 'The Number of the Beast' has been named number one in HMV's Diamond Jubilee survey for the greatest British album category.
''Some of the most influential and classic albums from the past 60 years were in the running so it's a testament to our incredibly loyal and ever-supportive fans who voted for us.
''Iron Maiden is a proudly British band, so to win this category as voted for by the British public, in Jubilee year, is very special. Thank you to all our wonderful fans!''
The Beatles dominated the top 10, with entries in fourth, sixth and tenth place - for 'Abbey Road', 'Revolver' and 'White Album' - while Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' rounded out the top five.
Also featuring in the top 10 were Queen's 'A Night At The Opera', Oasis' '(What's the Story) Morning Glory' and '21' by Adele, making seventh, eighth and ninth place.
The best British albums as voted for in HMV's Diamond Jubilee poll:
1. Iron Maiden: 'The Number of the Beast'
2. Depeche Mode: 'Violator'
3. The Beatles: 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'
4. The Beatles: 'Abbey Road'
5. Pink Floyd: 'The Dark Side of the Moon'
6. The Beatles: 'Revolver'
7. Queen: 'A Night at the Opera'
8. Oasis: '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?'
9. Adele: '21'
10. The Beatles: 'White Album'
11. Led Zeppelin: 'IV'
12. The Beatles: 'Rubber Soul'
13. The Clash: 'London Calling'
14. David Bowie: 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars'
15. The Smiths: 'The Queen is Dead'
16. Black Sabbath: 'Black Sabbath'
17. Radiohead: 'OK Computer'
18. Pink Floyd: 'Wish You Were Here'
19. Elton John: 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'
20. Oasis: 'Definitely Maybe'
21. Take That: 'Beautiful World'
22. Led Zeppelin: 'II'
23. Elbow: 'Seldom Seen Kid'
24. The Who: 'Who's Next'
25. Coldplay: 'Parachutes'
26. Sex Pistols: 'Never Mind the Bollocks'
27. Muse: 'Origin of Symmetry'
28. Amy Winehouse: 'Back to Black'
29. Joy Division: 'Unknown Pleasures'
30. The Stone Roses: 'The Stone Roses'