Eddie Murphy - Happy Birthday, Eddie Murphy!03 April 2011
Happy Birthday, Eddie Murphy!
Making his way up the laughing ladder, Murphy first made his name as a stand-up comic before a stint on Saturday Night Live shot him into the comedy stratosphere.
His turns in the Beverly Hills Cop movies made him a household name, and despite a series of recent film flops, he proves he's still got it with his role as the adorable Donkey in animated hit Shrek.
But Murphy isn't just a funnyman - his all-singing, all-dancing role in Dreamgirls won him a surprise Best Supporting Actor nomination.
And to celebrate a career which has shone as brightly as his mega-watt smile, we've searched through the archives to find 10 facts on birthday boy Murphy.
- Murphy started his career early, writing stand-up routines when he was just 15 years old after being inspired by Bill Cosby.
- He is often named the most successful Snl alumni and is credited for revitalising the sketch show when it hit a slump in the early 1980s.
- Has also enjoyed success on America's Billboard chart, with two hits to his name - Party All the Time and Put Your Mouth on Me.
- He has dated Halle Berry, Whitney Houston and former Spice Girl Melanie Brown.
- Murphy set a record at the 2007 Razzie Awards when he was voted for five gongs - the most ever for one star in the same year. All of the unwanted award nominations were for his flop Norbit.
- He's the first actor to be paid $1 million for his debut movie role.
- He was one of several stars to fall victim to a death hoax last December (10), with reports suggesting he had passed away in a skiing accident.
- Murphy admits he hated facing his 50th birthday, because he'll looked like a "creepy old man" if he hits on girls.
- Murphy is very clean cut - he doesn't smoke or drink and his only vice is strong coffee.
- He took home 20 per cent of the box office takings of his Nutty Professor franchise.
|Comment on this article|