George Zimmerman is attempting to clean up his image... by doing a celebrity boxing match.
George Zimmerman, the man who was acquitted last year for the murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, has decided to use his newly acquired fame. Specifically, Zimmerman is planning to step into the ring of Celebrity Boxing. According to Zimmerman himself, speaking for RadarOnline, it’s an interest he had before the “incident.”
“It was my idea,” Zimmerman, 30, says of the match that will be run by the event’s founder, Damon Feldman. He is now looking for an opponent, Radar also reports. Some of the proceeds have been pledged to an unknown charity. Zimmerman refused to give the name of the organization, because his public image could lead to the charity being “bombarded with negativity”
“I’ll leave it up to them to say if they want it to be publicized or not. But I will tell you that it’s an animal rescue.” Boxing is a questionable choice for Zimmerman, who has racked up a number of charges and arrests due to altercations with his ex-wife and current girlfriend, including felony aggravated assault, domestic violence and an alleged assault on his father-in-law. According to Zimmerman himself, boxing was something he enjoyed before the Trayvon Martin shooting.
“Boxing isn’t new to me. It’s something I had picked up well before the incident and it’s something that I liked, I enjoyed, and I kept up with it and I was able to lose a tremendous amount of weight and get a healthy lifestyle,” he told Radar.
Many ticket-holders couldn't get into the O2 Arena show on Tuesday night (September 19th) because they didn't bring photo ID to match their booking.
An album re-release, a new song and a documentary mark the singer's legacy this year.
The actor plays the titular hero in the forthcoming adaptation.