Fiennes Trumps Ledger As Top Movie Villain
RALPH FIENNES' LORD VOLDEMORT character in the HARRY POTTER films has been named the best movie villain of all time - beating HEATH LEDGER's THE JOKER into fifth place.
Ledger's performance in new Batman sequel The Dark Knight, the last movie he completed before his death in January (08), has been lauded by critics and tipped for an Oscar nomination.
But editors of Moviefone rank him behind Fiennes; James Earl Jones and Hayden Christensen's Darth Vader; Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of the West and Sir Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector in the onscreen evil stakes.
A Moviefone editor explains the decision to crown Voldemort the most dastardly, "He is the most powerful dark wizard to ever wave a wand. What's more, he schemes to dominate the whole world. Without his slithering presence, would J.K. Rowling be the best-selling author of all time? The answer, a resounding "No."
The top ten is as follows:
1: Lord Voldemort, Harry Potter - Ralph Fiennes
2: Darth Vader, Star Wars -James Earl Jones, Hayden Christensen
3. Wicked Witch Of The West, The Wizard Of Oz - Margaret Hamilton
4. Hannibal Lecter, Silence Of The Lambs - Anthony Hopkins
5. Joker, The Dark Knight - Heath Ledger
6. Goldfinger, Goldfinger - Gert Frobe
7. Chigurgh, No Country For Old Men - Javier Bardem
8. Hans Gruber, Die Hard - Alan Rickman
9: Queen, Snow White And The Seven Dwarves - Lucille La Verne.