Curtain Rises On Sundance London 2; Redford On Hand
The second edition of the London version of Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival opened at London's O2 stadium today (Thursday), but Sundance founder Robert Redford indicated that he was unsure whether the London screenings of independent films would remain an annual event. Last year's Sundance London, he told a news conference on Wednesday, represented a toe-in-the-water experiment and was successful enough to warrant a second experiment this year. However, he remarked, It is hard to declare a length of commitment until you let it play out and see how it goes. The London Independent observed that last year Redford had remarked that if the British film festival proved to be a success, he would try to expand to other parts of the world. But when asked if he still had plans to do so, the Independent reported, he replied with a curt 'No.' Indeed, Redford, who is 76, has already indicated that he's phasing out his involvement with the festival. Has Sundance got too big? That's for others to decide, he said on Wednesday. Has it got too big for me? Probably, in the sense that I realized I'd been drowning in it. So now I'm content to just step in periodically to ensure it stays true to its original purpose. Redford elicited a few chuckles from reporters when he remarked that J.C. Chandor, whose film Margin Call screened at the 2011 Sundance festival, was the first filmmaker ever to offer him a role in a subsequent film. (He'll be appearing in Chandor's All Is Lost.) We've supported all these filmmakers for thirty years, and yet none of them ever came and asked me to be in a film, he said. I thought that was pretty weird until it happened this year with J.C. Chandor. The fact that he wanted me was so appealing.