Courtney Meppen-Walters was visited by police officers at his home, after being released by mistake.
Courtney Meppen-Walters has been jailed for the second time after being released from custody by mistake. The 18-year-old footballer was set free early on Monday (July 1, 2013) after serving a 16-month jail term for causing the deaths of two people in a car crash last year. However, prison chiefs asked Greater Manchester Police to return the former England youth international behind bars are realising he was not eligible for release.
Manchester City Fans Had Hoped Courtney Meppen-Walters Would Break Through Into The First Team
Police visited the former Manchester City star at his home in Blackley at 11pm yesterday, where he volunteered to return to prison. A spokeswoman for GMP said: "He fully co-operated once he had been officially been informed of the error. He made his way voluntarily back to prison."
The youngster headed back to Lancaster Farms, a young offenders' institution in Lancashire. Walters was driving nearly double the 30mph speed limit when he smashed his Mercedes into a Nissan Micra on Bury New Road last September, killing both Kulwant Singh, 32, and Ravel Kaur, 37, reports the Manchester Evening News.
The footballer, previously earning £1,000-a-week, was greeted by friends outside the prison gates early on Monday. Friends also tweeted a poem seemingly penned by Meppen-Walter during his time inside. "I wish there was a switch I could click. To turn back time. And take back everything that happened on the 1st of September 2012!"
As Well As Manchester City, Courtney Meppen-Walters Also Played For England Youths
Police sergeant Danny Byrne said, "Officers visited Meppen-Walters' address last night and returned him back to prison in Lancaster. We are speaking to the family of the victims involved in this case to keep them updated with what has happened and our thoughts continue to be with them at this difficult time."