Coke Killed Ikeby Contributor | 17 January 2008
Soul pioneer Ike Turner was killed by an overdose of cocaine, it has been revealed.
According to officials from the San Diego medical examiner's office, the musician's death at the age of 76 was also caused by cardiovascular disease and pulmonary emphysema.
The two-time Grammy winner and former husband of Tina Turner was found dead at his home near San Diego last month.
"We are listing that he abused cocaine, and that's what resulted in the cocaine toxicity," Paul Parker, chief investigator at the medical examiner's office, told the Associated Press news agency last night.
Turner's daughter Mia expressed shock at the coroner's report, but admitted her father had waged an "ongoing struggle" with drug abuse.
But in a telephone interview with the North County Times, she added: "Daddy at that point was not doing drugs to the level it [the report] leads to believe."
In a December 12th statement after Turner's death, Neil Portnow, president and chief executive of the Recording Academy, said Turner was "one of rock 'n' roll's great architects".
"His innovative musicality helped lay the foundation for rock 'n' roll and R 'n' B more than 50 years ago," he added.
"As a bandleader, his well-rehearsed ensembles were some of the most exciting live groups the world had ever heard... Ike's legacy as a groundbreaking pioneer in the music industry will never be forgotten."